St James' Primary School
New South Wales, Australia
About St James' Primary School
St James Primary School is a co-educational K-6 primary school situated in the town of Muswellbrook in the Hunter Region of New South Wales. It has a current student population of 230.
Located within the Maitland-Newcastle Diocese, the school came into existence in 1862. Responsibility for the school was taken over by the Sisters of Mercy in 1883. One hundred years later, due to the expansion of the mining and power industries in the area, the present, much larger primary school was opened. The first lay principal was appointed in 1991. Teachers with high expectations in regard to student achievement and behaviour are highly valued within the current school community.
St James Primary School comprises 14 classrooms, a library, a chapel and a vast array of other well maintained amenities throughout the school. High quality resources to support all Key Learning Areas are available with a particular emphasis on ICT resources and equipment.
A school-wide commitment to quality teaching and learning coupled with a strong focus on literacy and numeracy ensures that St James School’s curriculum delivery provides each student with a solid foundation for their learning across each of the seven Key Learning Areas (including religious education). The school endeavours to provide a holistic education for each student by nurturing their academic, interpersonal and spiritual realms of life.
St James’ Primary School aims to excel in education through living and learning in Christ. The school consistently conducts events and activities that strongly promote the values of respect and responsibility throughout the community.