Thomas More Catholic School
Croydon, United Kingdom
About Thomas More Catholic School
"I am very pleased, very proud and very happy to share the news with you that we are now an Ofsted rated Good School!
This is thrilling, well deserved and a wonderful testament to the hard work of everyone in our community.
It is a triumph of vision, commitment and perseverance in the things that really matter."
Mr N. Walters, Headteacher
Welcome to Thomas More Catholic School
We are proud of our dynamic and vibrant school community. Our aim for our pupils is that they should learn about themselves , as they prepare for the challenges of the 21st Century, within a firm and secure Catholic faith foundation. We achieve this in a number of ways, both in and outside of the classroom.
This is a school that seeks to develop academic, spiritual, sporting and creative opportunities for all pupils housed in an atmospheric Victorian building but supported by large grounds and our own brand new sports hall, swimming pool, and state of the art Design and Technology facilities and Science Laboratories.
TO CARE for, respect and value all people and our environment
TO LEARN that justice and love are the foundations of our Faith. To make these the guiding principles of our community in its commitment to academic excellence and personal integrity
TO ACHIEVE beyond our expectation, creating challenging opportunities which take us all confidently into the 21st Century. It is our aim that all members of the school community should:
- Actively encourage and expect the highest standard of teaching and learning for every child.
- Work in partnership with parents and the community including local parishes, effectively deploying resources;
- Care for others while taking full responsibility for achieving excellence.
About our School
Thomas More Catholic School exists to provide an academic, spiritual, sporting, creative and inclusive education for all of the children who attend our school. The school is underpinned by gospel values such as love, faith, charity and hope and the greatest of these is always love – of Jesus Christ our Lord, of one another and oneself. The school is attended by children between the ages of 11 and 19 years. A school and orphanage was opened on this site in 1868 with the Catholic Church opening the school as we now know it in 1962. We have about 850 children on roll.
Thomas More Catholic School is set on an extensive site with an atmospheric older building and extensive grounds which are used for our sporting activities. Our facilities are hired by the local community in the evenings and weekends (the swimming pool and sports hall are used by local swimming clubs and sports clubs) and our football pitches are hired for Sunday morning football. We also share the grounds with one of our feeder primary schools, Margaret Roper Primary School.
School Ethos and Values
At Thomas More Catholic School we feel that young children learn best when:
- The quality of relationships is good and children are happy and secure.
- They know they are respected and valued for who they are.
- The best quality teachers, material and resources are employed.
- Teaching is purposeful and focused, meeting individual needs.
- Teachers and parents work in partnership and mutual support.
- Learning is underpinned by strong gospel and Catholic values.
- Learning is set within a framework of good behaviour
- Expectations and standards are high in order to achieve excellence.
- They have many and varied opportunities to explore academic, sporting, spiritual and creative skills and abilities concepts, knowledge and skills are taught within meaningful contexts.
- Learning is enjoyable because it includes first hand, creative and practical experiences, within a stimulating environment.
- They have opportunities to collaborate with others.
- They are encouraged to investigate and think for themselves, becoming independent learners
- They are enabled to be supported in their faith journey
- When they acknowledge that God is present in their lives
- They take responsibility for their learning outcomes.
At Thomas More Catholic School we aim to foster a caring community in which each individual is valued for who they are and we celebrate each child’s strengths. We encourage mutual respect regardless of race, religion or ability. Children are given opportunities to take on roles of responsibility within the school community and the expectations increase through the key stage.
‘A good school’- OFSTED May 2019