UWC Atlantic College
Vale of Glamorgan, United Kingdom
About UWC Atlantic College
ATLANTIC COLLEGE: Background
• Located in the magnificent setting of a 12th Century castle (St Donat’s Castle), Llantwit Major, near Cardiff, South Wales, Atlantic College (AC) has been a beacon of international education since it was opened in 1962.
• AC is clearly positioned as an innovative and pioneering international college for 15 – 19 year olds and as a hugely successful and a high-achieving educational establishment. With a unique educational philosophy and unrivalled academic standards, the College offers, over a 2 year period, a wide-ranging educational opportunity and experience for young people from all walks of life and from all corners of the world.
• The first of 16 United World Colleges now located across the Globe, Atlantic College was inspired by educationist Kurt Hahn to engage young people from all nations in finding peaceful means to bring together a world divided by political, racial and social barriers.
• The College has an annual intake of approximately 170 students. In its forty year history, more than 7000 students from over 130 countries have benefited from this extraordinary education – with many students going on to work in all sectors, from humanitarian and legal to business, environmental and foreign affairs in countries across all continents.
• Atlantic College was the first school in the UK (in 1971) and also one of the first colleges in the world to follow an international curriculum. It continues to lead the way in pioneering new options for the International Baccalaureate Diploma which its students study over a two year period. Its students achieve some of the best IB results in the world.
• 34 full-time academic staff teach over 20 subjects; additional specialists complement this range in the fields of music and visual arts.
• Over 95% of AC students attained the IB Diploma in 2007
• Over 90% of AC students leave AC to attend universities around the world, including Ivy League and other top-ranking universities and colleges in the US.
• AC regularly achieves world-ranking status with its IB scores, a significant achievement considering that every year, a small percentage of its intake has never studied or spoken English before joining the College.
• The College remains strongly committed to a policy of admission and scholarship on merit, regardless of religious, social or ethnic background and ability to pay. This is what sets the College apart. Over 70% of all students are currently on financial aid and in most cases full scholarships. Refugees for example regularly attend on scholarship.