Vision for Education are currently recruiting for a dedicated 1:1 Tutor to work with Looked after Children (LAC) on an hourly basis in Tameside.
The role of One to One Tutor will be based in youth settings or homes in Tameside supporting young people who are unable to access an education setting, working on an hourly basis. You will be responsible for the educational development of a cohort of LAC under your supervision within the Tameside area.
As a 1:1 Tutor, you will be required to be patient, calm and empathetic, and hold the ability to engage young people and motivate them to achieve. As you will be working on a 1:1 basis with students, this role will require you to work with students to build positive, professional relationships and help them overcome barriers to learning. Each student’s timetable is tailor made for them to accommodate to their needs and interests, however most students will be studying Core subjects, therefore experience of teaching English and Maths is desired.
As a designated 1:1 Tutor you will successfully implement teaching and learning strategies based around each pupil’s EHCP and make reasonable adjustments to each session where necessary to have a motivating impact on pupils and maintain focus, therefore you will be required to be adaptable and able to think on your feet.
You will be required to produce weekly reports of each student’s engagement and attainment, record weekly attendance figures, and attend pupil meetings and PEP/LAC reviews. Due to the nature of the role, suitable candidates will be comfortable liaising with school contacts to gain schemes of work and report any issues or concerns when necessary.
It is essential that successful 1:1 Tutors:
• Have proven experience of instructing or teaching young people is essential
• Hold a full UK driving licence and has business insurance on their vehicle is preferred
• Be able to confidently plan and deliver sessions covering Maths and English as a minimum
• Have a comprehensive understanding of working with young people attributed EHCP’s for a Special Educational Needs, with references as evidence
• Have experience of implementing a variety of de-escalation strategies in challenging situations involving young people.
Depending on the requirements of the alternative provision being delivered, sessions usually take place during the school day, however may some times be required after school or weekends. There are part-time and full-time roles available.