The Federation and Academy
Haberdashers’ Aske’s Hatcham College provides a safe, rigorous and challenging learning environment for pupils of all abilities and backgrounds. Our expectations are high in terms of pupil progress and achievement, and behaviour. In February 2014 we received our fourth consecutive Ofsted grade of ‘Outstanding’. We are looking to appoint an equally outstanding practitioner to join our well-established staff.
The core purpose of this post is to lead on Science at Key Stage 3 and to contribute to the continuing development of the Science curriculum and to the overall development of this already strong and successful department. The successful candidate will be working toward becoming a Head of Science within the next few years.
It is expected that the successful candidate will consistently plan and deliver good and outstanding lessons within the department. The College offers Science at Key Stage 3, GCSE and A Level. We are looking for an innovative and forward–looking individual who can inspire students and contribute fully to a very active and successful Science team.
From September the amount of curriculum time devoted to Science at Key Stage 3 will be increased and will be timetabled as Biology, Physics and Chemistry.
The successful candidate will need:
- To lead on Science at Key Stage 3 with the guidance and support of the Head of Science
- To lead the development of the Key Stage 3 Science curriculum so that it is engaging and exciting
- To manage the day-to-day operation of Science at the key stage, including supporting colleagues with planning and any student concerns should they arise
- To promote the attainment of students
- To line manage several members of department
- To support in mentoring and supporting beginner teachers/NQT’s within the department
- To work within and contribute to established College and department frameworks for:
- lesson planning, delivery and evaluation
- student behaviour and care
- student assessment
- To actively contribute to the teaching of Science across all age and ability ranges
- To remain informed of current developments in the subject area, to participate in INSET and to initiate change where appropriate
- To devise innovative, challenging schemes of work
- To consistently plan and deliver good and outstanding lessons, ensuring that a variety of teaching resources are utilised
- To set and mark internal examinations and tests as required
- To demonstrate good knowledge of a wide range of teaching methods and to implement these in the classroom
- To be fully committed to and actively contribute to the department enrichment activities programme
- To possess excellent ICT skills and use these as a tool in the teaching of Science
- To provide accurate information for parents as directed by the College and to attend parents’ evenings and other presentation meetings as directed
- To assist the head of Science in lesson observations, learning walks and work scrutinies
- To contribute to departmental self-evaluation
- To assist in the implementation of the subject area improvement plan based upon self-evaluation.
- To monitor the quality of teaching; based on evidence, self-evaluation and development, ensuring a consistent and continuous focus on achievement and aspiration.
- To maintain an organised and effective learning environment in the classroom and shared areas.
- To take responsibility for own professional development in discussion with the Head of Dept.