We are looking for a flexible, organised person with excellent literacy skills and a very high attention to detail to work as an Admin Assistant in our busy front office. This is an exciting new role for someone to take responsibility for all external school communications to parents via letter, email and our social media channels.
A confident approach to using Microsoft Office will be required as well as the ability to easily pick up new IT systems such as SIMS and SchoolComms. However, there is the opportunity to develop these skills in our well led, collaborative and supportive environment and training will be given as necessary.
The role will be part-time for 20 hours per week during term time.
If you would like to come in and meet the team and discuss this opportunity further, please contact:
Lucia Davis, HR Manager & Headteachers PA on email@example.com
(01483 729 343 ext. 112)
Application & Selection:
Closing Date: 9am on Monday 6 December
Shortlisting: Mon 6 December
Interviews: Wed 8 December
Method of Application: Please complete the job application form that can be found on our website and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org before the advertised closing date.
Further information and the application forms are available to download from our website: www.sjb.surrey.sch.uk.
This School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. The Successful applicant will be required to undertake an enhanced check via the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Completed applications, or any queries regarding the role or your application, should be sent via email to email@example.com. Please note that CVs will not be accepted on their own but must be submitted along with the application form. Shortlisted candidates will be notified, invited for interview and references will be taken up immediately.
Interviews will be held face-to-face. We will ensure that social distancing is maintained throughout and candidates will be asked to wear a face mask whilst moving around the building (unless they have a medical exemption). Full details will be provided to all candidates selected for interview.
Report to: HR Manager/Headteachers PA
Hours: We are looking for someone to work 20 hours per week for 39 weeks per year; The hours are Monday to Friday, 8.30am-12.30pm.
Purpose: To support the admin team working in the front office in ensuring the smooth day to day running of the school and by taking responsibility for the external communications to parents via letter, email and our social media channels.
Essential personal qualities:
• Have a very good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel
• Show excellent attention to detail
• Have excellent literacy skills, the ability to write letters and be able to proof read with
• Demonstrate strong time-management skills and the ability to work to deadlines
• Be able to work under pressure and be highly organised
• Possess strong communication skills and maintain a professional approach
• Have the flexibility to adapt to a challenging and ever-changing work load
• Demonstrate enthusiasm, willingness and interest in learning new skills
• Work effectively, using own initiative, and as part of a team
• Have a sense of humour!
• 5 or more passes at GCSE level including English and Maths
• To take responsibility and ownership for the external communications of the school –
this will include proof reading and distributing letters to parents; general letters,
• Work with the Web Developer to ensure that the website content is proof-read and up-
to-date (including vacancies, policies and other text);
• Monitor all our social media channels, facilitating regular posts and adhoc posts as
• Grow our social media presence;
• Manage the Governor Hub portal and ensure the Governors are kept abreast of
important school communications and policy updates etc;
• Create and publish job adverts (in collaboration with the line manager and/or other
senior leaders in the school);
• Ensure all school policies are published and updated as per the DfE requirements for
• Support the Headteacher’s PA with regular and periodic HR Admin which will include
checking the MAT HR portal regularly to ensure we are using the most up-to-date
templates including contracts and application forms and reading through HR policies
to ensure we are compliant in our regulations;
• Answering the telephone and dealing with any requests quickly and efficiently;
• When required, welcome visitors and ensure they are effectively signed in and given a
• Provide effective communication links (telephone, email, reception and messages
throughout the school);
• Deal with students at the ‘hatchway’ and in the medical room which may include
contacting parents and ensuring students get home safely (an up-to-date first aid
certificate will be required and this may be obtained after appointment if necessary);
• General admin duties as required in negotiation with the Headteacher’s PA and or
Senior Leadership Team;
This job description is designed to give you an overview of the role and is not necessarily exhaustive or a comprehensive definition of the post. It may be reviewed at any time in consultation with the post holder.