Apprentice Science Laboratory Technician
Ofsted April 2017 – The Portsmouth Academy is a GOOD school with OUTSTANDING leadership and management.
The Thinking Schools Academy Trust is the best performing Multi Academy Trust for KS4 progress
39 weeks per year, 37 hours per week
The Portsmouth Academy became a co-educational establishment from September 2017. Our aim is to transform the life chances of our pupils through our motto of ‘Aspire and Achieve’.
We are part of the Thinking Schools Academy Trust, an expanding family of primary and secondary schools within the Portsmouth area and have recently achieved fully accredited Thinking School status from the University of Exeter. The good behaviour of our students, and collegiate atmosphere amongst staff, makes the Academy a wonderful place to work.
What we can offer you:
· An opportunity to complete a Level 3 Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship
· Become professionally recognised as a Registered Science Technician (RSciTech)
· A fun, hardworking and welcoming team who enjoy supporting each other
· Engaged pupils who work in a calm and industrious manner
· Work with parents who are supportive of our school values and ethos
· Vast support network from senior leaders and other teachers within the school and our trust
· Benefit from an internationally accredited pedagogy approach to thinking and learning - proven to enhance classroom practice
· Outstanding CPD tailored to you, wherever you are in your career
· Support from across the Trust to help you deliver outstanding teaching and learning through resources, mentoring and school visits
· Access to the New Horizons Teaching Alliance, offering a wide range of robust and innovatory development resources and expertise
· A 24/7 employee assistance programme which provides counselling and support / advice on a wide array of areas
· Free parking onsite
Your new role:
As Science Technician, your work will be directed by the Head of Science and you will be responsible for
· General, practical support in the academy science laboratories and to provide back-up to the science teaching staff.
· Setting up and monitoring systems used in the management and control of practical resources, including budgets.
· Maintenance and repair of practical equipment
· Keeping up to date with health and safety requirements and developments in Science.
· Assisting with managing the day to day running of the workshops and extra-curricular activities
What you’ll need to succeed:
· ‘C’ grades or above at GCSE level (or equivalent) in Science, English and Maths
· An aspiring teacher or someone committed to supporting students
· Excellent interpersonal skills
· Effective communicator both orally and in writing
· Effective ICT skills
· Excellent organisational and administrative skills
· Experience of working with children and young people
· Understanding of the educational system and current developments
· Ability to motivate and to support learning
What you need to do now:
If you are interested in working in a new school, benefitting from a supportive network of teachers across our large academy and our Trust and you are keen to progress your career and join at the start of a new and exciting time for this academy, then please apply today!
Early applications are encouraged and we reserve the right to close the vacancy if a suitable candidate is found.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.