This is an exciting time to be joining one of the most pioneering schools in the country. We are looking for an excellent art and design teacher who is passionate about their subject area and ready to develop their practice in a dynamic and innovative teaching environment. School 21 is an all-through school and your role will offer the opportunity to teach in the middle school as well as 14 to 18. Ideally, the candidate would have a well-developed skill set working in two-dimensional media with a specialism in drawing, painting and/or printmaking. All applicants, however, will be expected to teach a range of 2D and 3D projects at Key Stage 2-3 in our middle school (Y5-8). At Key Stage 4 and 5, we currently follow the AQA qualification in Art & Design, specialising in Fine Art/3D Design.
We believe the teaching of art and design should support students to think independently and to develop their own creative confidence as a means to making a difference to the world. Creating beautiful and expressive work is a key feature of School 21 as a whole and therefore we are looking for a highly collaborative individual who is passionate about spreading the use of arts or design-led approaches across the curriculum.
We are keen to build cross curricular links and develop projects that involve external partnerships. Our ideal candidate will enjoy collaboration and be keen to share and develop their understanding of project-based learning. Art and Design is a popular subject throughout the whole school, so we are looking for a confident teacher who can help us build a distinctive and bold vision for the department going forward. From September School 21 will have a Makerspace studio in its central courtyard which will facilitate rich projects and cross-disciplinary working.
Since we opened in 2012 we have put learning and teaching at the heart of everything we do. We have developed a unique approach to oracy including setting up a charity, Voice 21 (https://www.voice21.org/) which is already working with several hundred schools. We have also pioneered real world, interdisciplinary learning in collaboration with a network of extraordinary organisations: creative, artistic, high tech, professional.
At School 21 we believe that the purpose of education is to develop the whole child: head (academics), heart (character and well-being) and hand (generating ideas, problem solving, creating extraordinary authentic outcomes).
School 21 is a very special and different kind of place to work in. We empower staff to find their voice and their creativity. We offer collaboration and learning across ages and subjects. All staff have more planning time than most schools and a tailored programme of professional development which results in extraordinary outcomes for the students. We offer multiple routes to progression through subjects and pedagogies. We believe strongly in developing the full potential of all staff.
School 21 has established a strong track record - an outstanding ofsted, excellent GCSE results and a growing reputation, for example being the first and only international case study chosen by US educators, Edutopia https://www.edutopia.org/school/school-21.
There was strong recognition In the Ofsted for the ethos and approach of the school:
"Pupils across the school make exceptional progress."
"Pupils have excellent attitudes to learning, impeccable manners and show respect for everyone.”
“Staff morale is exceptionally high. Teachers at the early stages of their career value the ‘fantastic’ professional development and opportunities to learn from each other. Those with more experience said that they have become much better teachers since joining the school.”
"Through project-based learning "pupils achieve remarkable standards of work and demonstrated knowledge and skills at levels beyond those expected for their age group."
“Pupils talk and discuss with a maturity and confidence that is remarkable for their years."
The successful candidate will be:
- An excellent teacher and subject specialist
- Experienced at developing other teachers
- Skilled at fostering independent, student-led learning
- A creative and deep thinker about pedagogy
- Innovative in using new technology to enhance learning
- A collaborative planner, able to work across subject disciplines
- Interested in developing the growth of every child – head, heart and hand
ABOUT SCHOOL 21:
- 4 to 18 mixed, inclusive school in the heart of Stratford, Newham
- Cutting edge pedagogy and curriculum
- Small - only 75 children in each year group
- We have plans to set up two new schools in close proximity to School 21 which will give staff more opportunities to grow and develop
- Outstanding career development and exceptional CPD
- Generous TLRs based on experience and skills
- The chance to network with outstanding practitioners and learn from the best
- Collaborative working across the 4 to 18 school
- Leadership training and development opportunities
- A strong feedback culture so that teachers can develop in areas of their practice that are important to them
- Every teacher being part of a team/circle that develops strategic practice
For more information see: www.school21.org.uk or e-mail Anne Shaker at email@example.com or call 020 8262 2121.
To apply: Please visit the careers pages at www.school21.org.uk and complete an online application form.
Apply by: Tuesday, 24th April 2018 at 9am
Likely interview date: Week commencing 30th April 2018
School 21 is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to safeguarding children.