From September 2019, The Halifax Academy requires an aspiring Director of English who has excitement and drive for teaching and learning and a love of English, in order to make a difference to student achievement and attainment. We are looking for a thoughtful and knowledgeable teacher who strives to achieve the very best for students. This position is to work and develop with our current Assistant Headteacher for Literacy and Communications. You will be supported throughout this role with a leadership development programme.
Our Academy is special; it grips you from the very first moment that you step foot inside. It’s a unique organisation where hearts and minds connect. Our staff and trustees are unwaveringly ambitious for students, our families, our community and our staff. Our purpose is very clear; we are on a mission to improve social mobility for the disadvantaged and the life chances of children and young people.
The Halifax Academy is a high performing 4-16 all-through academy in Calderdale, West Yorkshire. It was inspected by Ofsted in September 2017, being judged as good in all areas. Outcomes are outstanding at KS4, placing the Academy in the top 15% of all schools nationally. Early Years Provision is good.
The Academy is the lead school in Impact Education MAT and is led by Matt Perry. Impact was established in November 2016 by trustees who are morally driven to ensure that education has the greatest possible impact.
In September 2014, Halifax High added a Primary Phase to an existing successful Secondary Phase to create The Halifax Academy. The Primary Phase has two forms of entry and our oldest students are in Year 4. The Primary will continue to grow to a capacity of 420 students by September 2020.
We are looking for a teacher who:
- embraces the vision and values of the Academy
- has excellent subject knowledge
- has energy and can inspire confidence in students, staff and parents
- has the highest expectations and is uncompromising in their ambition for students and the community we serve
- takes responsibility for improving their own practice
We are looking for a leader who:
- is committed to ensuring students and staff maximise every opportunity to achieve academically and personally
- is an inspirational leader with excellent interpersonal skills to take people with them
- has a track record for using innovative approaches to securing high levels of student achievement through improving teaching and learning
- cares about the wellbeing of both staff and students
What we offer:
- Highly ambitious and supportive staff, parents and trustees.
- Well behaved students who want to do well.
- State of the art buildings with excellent facilities across the site.
- First class professional training and development opportunities, including coaching and mentoring.
- Well-established business support and administrative functions; enabling you to focus on the core purpose of raising achievement through developing high quality teaching, learning and leadership.
- Cross phase working to enhance subject knowledge development and pedagogical practice.
- A highly reflective organisation which takes professional learning seriously.
- We have maintained Investors in People Gold Award since 2012.
The Halifax Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. DBS checks are required for all posts.
To apply for the role please complete the academy’s application form and return to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications is Monday 20th May at 9am, interviews to be held on Friday 24th May.
Late applications and CVs will not be accepted.