Assessment Manager, (60% Sciences team; 40% Maths and ICT team)
Contract: Fixed Term Contract (until end July 2022)
Location: Cambridge (currently work from home)
We are an international exams group designing and delivering assessments to over 8 million learners in over 170 countries. We are committed to ensuring that all our assessments are fair, have sound ethical underpinning, and operate according to the highest technical standards.
The Business Unit
Cambridge International prepares school students for life, helping them develop an informed curiosity and a lasting passion for learning. We are part of Cambridge Assessment, a department of the University of Cambridge. Our international qualifications are recognised by the world’s best universities and employers, giving students a wide range of options in their education and career.
As a not-for-profit organisation, we devote our resources to delivering high-quality educational programmes that can unlock learners’ potential.
This role would suit an experienced STEM teacher with an interest in international and UK assessments. It involves managing assessment products for qualifications ranging from Cambridge IGCSE and O Level to Cambridge International A Level. You will be checking, proofreading, and signing off assessment materials, as well as managing examiners to ensure accuracy of marking and conformity to Cambridge International’s assessment standards.
You will be working with a range of stakeholders and ensuring that assessment providers are fully competent to deliver assessments in accordance with Cambridge standards. Part of the role involves supporting a diverse range of customers.
The day to day
• Manage the design, development, and delivery of a portfolio of syllabuses that reflect the values of the Cambridge Learner and teacher and also meet the needs of customers, meet Cambridge International’s assessment standards and the Code of Practice
• Ensure that question papers and key documentation are produced efficiently, in line with procedures, on time and to the highest standards of quality and accuracy
• Ensure that marking, grading and results and appeals procedures and responsibilities assigned to the post are carried out accurately and effectively, according to agreed procedures and to schedule
• Manage the appointment, allocation of work, performance and succession planning of Setters, Revisers and Vetters, item writers, Assistant Examiners, Principal Examiners, and other assessment providers to ensure that assessments are produced, marked and graded in accordance with Cambridge Assessment International Education’s standards
• In conjunction with the Development Division as appropriate, work collaboratively with schools, partner organisations and ministries to develop and revise syllabuses and associated materials to ensure that they meet their needs, are cost effective and reflect the current developments in the subject area
• Contribute to the development of Cambridge International’s strategy to use technology to provide on-line assessment, training and teacher support materials
• Contribute to improvement projects (systems/quality improvements) and innovations and working groups as appropriate in respect to continuous improvements and maintenance of quality procedures or the on-going delivery of assessment projects
• Organise the provision of consultancy services in some situations and contribute to training for partner organisations and ministries in relation to assessment of subjects in the portfolio and deliver outcomes to agreed timescales and quality
• Maintain quality control standards of qualifications submitted for accreditation in order to ensure that Cambridge accreditation services are met, if relevant. This may include in country evaluation of assessment processes
• To monitor costs of assessment materials production or project budgets
What we are looking for
We are looking for an enthusiastic team player who is self-motivated and confident in their specialist area. You will be a graduate, ideally with experience in teaching (possibly in an international context) and will have knowledge of assessment in education or Project Management experience at a senior level.
You are a keen problem solver with meticulous accuracy, you will have a proven ability to manage your workload when under pressure to meet multiple deadlines. In possession of a positive ‘can do’ attitude, a team player, able to work collaboratively with many stakeholders and will enjoy contributing to the continued success of Cambridge International.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a comprehensive package of benefits to help with your life both inside and outside of work:
Generous contributory pension
• 28 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
• Annual performance related bonus and increases (discretionary)
• Employee discount and cash back scheme at 2,500 retailers
• Cycle scheme
• Season Ticket Loan
• Subsidised staff restaurants
• Support for professional qualifications
• Discounted access to the University of Cambridge Sport Centre, along with various other local gyms
The University of Cambridge will be bringing together its publishing and assessment operations to create a single organisation from 1 August 2021. Cambridge University Press and Cambridge Assessment publish and create world-leading content and examinations that are used across more than 170 countries.
The move is in response to a growing desire from learners, teachers and researchers to engage with Cambridge in a joined up digital way, and the demand for innovative products that combine expertise in learning and assessment. The new organisation will have the capabilities to provide world leading assessment, learning and academic research offerings globally, under the Cambridge brand and backed by first class teaching and research departments.
We know that diversity of thinking, backgrounds and approaches lead to innovation and create an atmosphere where everyone’s contribution is valued. As well as wanting to create diverse teams, we also value diversity in the way our people approach their work. Work/life balance is important to us at Cambridge Assessment and we offer our colleagues a range of flexible working options according to the needs of the business and the individual, so please let us know of any flexible working requirements when applying and we can see how we can support you.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 11th April 2021 and interviews will be held week commencing 19th April.
If you are successful at interview stage, we will ask you to undergo background screening (carried out by Credence Background Screening Ltd), to ensure that all information provided to us is accurate. We wish you all the very best with your application.
CAMBRIDGE ASSESSMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES EMPLOYER
The Cambridge Assessment Group is a department of the University of Cambridge. We have three exam boards – University of Cambridge International Examinations (CIE), University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations (Cambridge ESOL), and OCR. We are a n...