There are so many things that make up a fantastic department, from supportive leadership to enthusiastic and knowledgeable team members (What makes a fantastic science department? Adam Little, SecEd, 05 October 2016).
The science department at Moor End Academy is fantastic and comprises of 10 full-time science teachers and 3 technicians. The science department strives to offer an outstanding science education to learners of all ages and abilities. We are subject specialists, driven by the desire to ensure that all learners make good progress in every lesson. We have high expectations of our learners in terms of behaviour, attitude and effort.
Science is changing all our lives and is vital to our future prosperity. All learners should be taught essential aspects of the knowledge, methods, processes and uses of science. Learners should be helped to appreciate the capacity of science to show how the complex and diverse phenomena of the natural world can be described. We have a curriculum taught in an engaging, stimulating and intellectually challenging environment that:
• Provides a comprehensive curriculum which generates an inquisitive, healthy curiosity of the world and its place in the universe.
• Promotes respect for the living and non-living world and the essential role science has to play in the conservation and protection of the world’s natural resources.
• Develops the scientific skills required to understand the uses and implications of scientific developments now and in the future.
• Increases scientific literacy and engages with science in the news, developing the knowledge, and skills required to make informed decisions.
• Stimulates thought and awareness and the real-world importance of scientific study.
• Promotes a broad understanding of STEM based careers.
• Provides the knowledge and skills required to secure outstanding GCSE grades as a stepping- stone to a career in science.
As assistant curriculum leader, you will have the opportunity to assume responsibility for key areas including KS3. You will help to maintain and enhance our high standards and provide opportunities for learners to extend their passion for science.
Moor End Academy is an exceptional place to work, and the science department is a major contributor. If you are a vibrant, passionate and innovative teacher who is not afraid to take risks and be challenged, this is your perfect opportunity.
Closing date for applications: 9 am 16th April 2021
Successful applicants will be required to undertake a Criminal Record Check via the DBS. The school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Moor End Academy
- Mainstream school with state - academy funding
- Secondary School
- Students of mixed gender, age 11 - 16 years
Moor End is a converter Academy that opened on 17th August 2011. We converted as an outstanding school. Prior to this we were a community school. Moor End is a National Support school. Our CEO, Jane Acklam, OBE is a National Leader of Education. We p...