Due to expansion, restructuring and the opening of two new schools, we are seeking a dynamic and committed Assistant Head, Primary or Secondary-trained, to join us at this exciting time in our development.Nestled between the Hajar mountains and the clear blue waters of the Arabian Gulf, Ras Al Khaimah Academy Family of Schools is based in Ras Al Khaimah, the northernmost Emirate of the UAE. Just one hour’s drive from Dubai International Airport, the Academy provides UK and IB education to almost 4000 students from 88 nationalities across its 5 schools, each with its own unique character. Over the past five years the Academy has grown markedly, in both our student numbers and our reputation for developing academic achievement; certainly the international school of choice in the Emirate.
We need an Assistant Headteacher, who can confidently take the lead in specific areas of school improvement and help in our search for “Excellence in Learning at the Heart of the Community”.
Your role will be to ensure that quality assurance frameworks are wholly effective in the diagnosis of areas for improvement/development in all school operations, overseeing and monitoring all quality assurance policies and processes which contribute towards the highest-quality learning experience.
Teaching and learning quality, with particular emphasis on the processes to clearly signpost areas for improvement;
• Orchestrating and monitoring the appraisal system which supports improvements in professional practice;
• Deciding on the nature of staff interventions, based on regular audits and triangulation of all teaching and learning data;
• Playing a significant role in the school quality improvement process through the auditing frameworks operating;
• Exemplifying the application of agreed policies, priorities and expectations: to ensure that all inspection and accreditation needs are satisfied;
• Maintain diagnostic systems which inspire operational confidence in all stakeholders;
• Working closely with the Data and Timetabling Manager, coordinate the analysis of key school performance data for all staff, to ensure priorities are appropriate and improvement in standards is promoted
• Through liaison with members of senior management, Subject Coordinators, Heads of Department and other Team Leaders, ensure that observations are structured and consistent for all staff and that outcomes are used for the purposes of school improvement;
• Ensure that assessment practices are secure and that accuracy via moderation is a feature of all departmental judgments;
• Ensure that the marking and feedback policy and process is effective and used consistently to inform students of improvement strategies (DIRT);
• Monitor and evaluate outcomes achieved from classroom practice, working closely with the Assistant Head (Teaching and Learning) in order to construct the school improvement plan priorities;
• Provide monitoring data to SMT for audit purposes related to teaching and learning approaches across secondary.
• To undertake designated tasks associated with the daily running of the School
• To promote the professional autonomy and accountability of all staff, in order that they may carry out their duties and responsibilities effectively
• To support effective learning for all students
• To line-manage designated middle leaders in the implementation of policies and processes aimed at targeted development areas
• To support the assessment of teaching effectiveness through the school’s performance management/appraisal process
• To help to ensure that teachers have their individual training needs identified and supported.
• To attend and help to organise parent conferences, assemblies, open days, etc.
• To be a high profile presence around site
• To liaise and communicate effectively with parents, staff and students to ensure that information is clear and readily available
• To collaborate with the Head of School in the creation and implementation of a structured strategic plan for the Secondary school
The successful candidate will have and be able to demonstrate:
• At least 5 years of teaching experience
• Relevant experience in leadership, either as a Head of Department, Team Leader or in another Senior Leadership position
• Experience of Quality Assurance frameworks, with a specific emphasis on raising all-round standards;
• Experience of curriculum development and staff performance development
• A strong sense of values coupled with a strong understanding of the school’s mission, vision and aims
• A high level of organization, energy and drive to achieve the best outcomes for students
• A high level of openness and honesty in working with colleagues
• A strong sense of teamwork
• An appreciation for the academic and personal issues facing children with language backgrounds other than English
• An experience in open-access, inclusive schools and able to deal effectively with low level behavioural issues
• The ability to think quickly, respond to situations and be consistent in decision-making.
An attractive employment package that includes tax free salary, free accommodation, free utilities and medical insurance, end of service gratuity and annual return flights to the home country. In addition, we provide a supportive working environment with a commitment to Professional Development.
To apply for this position please use 'Quick Apply'.
RAK Academy Family of Schools is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants must have undergone child protection screening and any offer of appointment will be subject to the above checks.