Abbey College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment.
The responsibilities of the post will be in accordance with the Teacher’s standards, latest School teachers’ pay and conditions, school’s policies and under the direction of the Headteacher.
Job Role and Purpose:
To assist the Headteacher and Deputy Headteacher with the overall leadership, management and development of the College. In particular, to develop and lead curriculum, teaching, learning and development of the Science department.
The Senior Leadership Team (SLT) has responsibility for all aspects of leading the College development on a day-to-day basis. The following should be used as a guide, as the specific individual whole school responsibilities of each Senior Leader will be agreed annually with the Headteacher.
• To achieve the KPIs for the Science department
• To sustain the aims and objectives of the College and establish the policies through which they will be achieved.
• To make sure that every child is known, valued and supported to achieve their full potential, ensuring excellent planning and teaching in all Science classrooms, an appropriate curriculum for all and appropriate support is given where needed.
• To develop, implement and maintain the ethos of the College, leading by example at all times.
• To support the development of staff through skilled human resource management.
• To support the development of students through outstanding teaching and skilled behavior management techniques.
• To form and maintain good relationships with all stakeholders to support College improvement.
Safeguarding: The Assistant Headteacher will have:
• The ability to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people
• Appreciation of the significance of safeguarding and ability to interpret this accurately for all individual children and young people whatever their life circumstances
• A good understanding of the safeguarding agenda and an ability to contribute towards a safe environment
The duties and responsibilities of the subject element of the post may vary from time to time according to the changing needs of the college. Any section of the job description may be reviewed at the discretion of the Headteacher in the light of those changing requirements and in consultation with the post holder and governing body.
• To support the development of students through outstanding teaching and skilled behaviour management techniques.
We are looking for a well-qualified and highly motivated Assistant Headteacher (Science) to join our team of brilliant staff. The role would be suitable for a talented Middle Leader or existing Assistant Principal looking for further experience. Working as part of a talented Senior Leadership Team, the Assistant Headteacher will provide vision, leadership and direction for the Science department and contribute more widely to the achievement of the College objectives.
Details for Applicants
What will our successful candidate be like?
Our new Assistant Headteacher will have a commitment to academic excellence, developing a vision for the Science department, leading others to contribute to the delivery of it and to drive the strategic direction of the College. Our successful candidate will be a highly motivated individual and will inspire every member of the team to play a part in the College’s journey to Outstanding.
What type of leader will you be?
We require you to have considerable teaching experience, be able to articulate a clear educational vision and provide dynamic and inspirational leadership. You will be an outstanding, reflective and outward looking classroom practitioner, passionate and restless to achieve the best outcomes for children, and possess creativity, excellent interpersonal skills, and strong organisational abilities.
Our new leader will have the experience, or the potential, to be a capable and energising leader who will manage the delivery of the College’s strategic aims. You are encouraged to take a fresh look at our long term plans, bring new ideas to the table and will have the autonomy to take risks.
What is our Senior Leadership team like?
We have an experienced team of Senior Leaders who have taken the College to Good in our most recent Ofsted. They are committed to raising the aspirations of our children, with a real focus on the quality of learning in the classroom. With excellent interpersonal skills built around our College virtues of ‘Humility, Intuition and Passion’, they are collaborative and dynamic, dedicated to the College’s values of ‘Aspire and Challenge’ to ensure that all students are able to achieve their dreams and ambitions. They are dedicated and passionate, and ready for a new leader to join the team as it moves to the next level.
Our SLT team require an Assistant Headteacher to:
• Lead by example, supporting the ethos of the College in a way that inspires, motivates and challenges students and staff to be outstanding;
• Monitor the quality of Teaching and Learning through regular observation and feedback;
• Ensure that all students are prepared for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of the wider world;
• Ensure that the performance of staff under their care is outstanding;
• Be approachable, encourage and challenge all staff;
• Be a role model and coach to develop them professionally;
• Be a presence in, and around, classrooms, and have a desire to lead by example.
Would you like to visit us?
We are not as far away as you think, and driving through the countryside each morning is a very pleasant way to start your day! You’ll find us just 20 minutes from Peterborough and Huntingdon, and commutable from Cambridge too. Why not come and visit us so we can show you more of our school?
If you have any further questions in the meantime, please contact Mrs Sandy Cummings
We look forward to meeting you, and receiving your application.
The post holder’s responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young people for whom s/he comes into contact will be to adhere to and ensure compliance with the College’s Child Protection Policy Statement at all times. If, in the course of carrying out the duties of the post the post holder becomes aware of any actual or potential risks to the safety or welfare of children in the College s/he must report any concerns to his/her Line Manager or the College’s Child Protection Officer.
• To have the ability to safeguard and promote the welfare of children and young people
• Appreciate the significance of safeguarding and interprets this accurately for all individual children and young people whatever their life circumstances
• To have a good understanding of the safeguarding agenda and can demonstrate an ability to contribute towards a safe environment
The Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share in this commitment. All staff will be subject to an enhanced check with the Criminal Records Bureau.