Job Title: Assistant Houseparent (Pastoral), Boys' Boarding House
Location: Sedbergh School
Responsible to: Senior Deputy Head (Pastoral)
Salary: £22,788 per annum + accommodation (please note that this is based on a 6-day working week. The role is likely to be 5 working days initially, and therefore the salary will be pro-rata)
Sedbergh School is now seeking a full time Assistant Houseparent (AHSM) to join our busy boarding community. The role of AHSM at Sedbergh is purely pastoral, underpinning the provision of outstanding welfare support for pupils in the House, in support of the Housemaster or Housemistress. As such, this is a non-academic position and there is no teaching timetable available, or likely to become attached to this post. The key responsibilities of the role are as follows:
- Primarily, the AHSM will provide direct support to pupils and staff, assisting with managing all aspects of the health, welfare and pastoral care of pupils, adhering to relevant school policies at all times;
- Secondly, the AHSM will provide support for the Housemaster/Housemistress with a wide range of administrative duties relating to pupils and their parents;
- Thirdly, the AHSM will work closely with the operational management team to ensure that the House catering, cleaning and laundry teams maintain standards, in accordance with School policy and operating specifications.
The duties of the role will be wide and varied, but it is essential for the AHSM to be able to demonstrate an empathy with and understanding of young people, a sense of humour and a genuine concern for the pupils' well-being and active involvement in their personal development. They will be required to positively encourage the pupils in their interests and activities, and to develop a professional and friendly relationship with them. The AHSM will also provide support in the maintenance of morale, standards and the efficient operation of the Boarding House.
Our ideal candidate will have experience of working with children aged 13-18 years old and relevant qualifications in medical or welfare related roles would be desirable. Excellent interpersonal, problem solving and organisational skills are also essential, as is the ability to work flexibly, maintaining a focus on quality at all times.
The post is available from January 2022.
In exchange the School will offer:
- Contributory Pension Scheme – to include life cover while remaining within the scheme;
- Statutory Sick Pay entitlement - conditional on meeting the demands of the scheme
- Free car parking;
- Opportunity to see School productions;
- Staff events and family fun days!
- Use of the School’s vast facilities (outside School timetabling) including the indoor swimming pool, tennis & squash courts, and the incredible state of the art Hirst Centre, which opened in 2018.
To find out more about this vacancy please download the 'Applicant info pack', visit the School website, or contact the HR Department on firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to apply:
To apply for this vacancy please complete the Sedbergh School application form. Once complete, the form should be submitted via TES, or returned to: email@example.com.
The closing date for applications is: Friday 24 September 2021
We anticipate that interviews will take place in the week commencing Monday 04 October 2021
We look forward to hearing from you.
Sedbergh School is committed to safeguarding & protecting the welfare of children. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and The Disclosure and Barring Service.
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- Secondary School
- Students of mixed gender, age 13 - 18 years
The magnificent location of Sedbergh means pupils can enjoy school life in a safe, healthy and dynamic environment. The opportunities for outdoor activities are almost unlimited - from a walk in the hills to mountain biking, or the calm of fishing to...