DIRECTOR OF SIXTH FORM
£57,117 – £65,689
Start Date – January 2020
Closing date: Friday 4 October at 12 noon
Beal High School is at the heart of the Beacon Multi Academy Trust. We are committed to working in partnership with The Forest Academy, The Beacon Business and Innovation Hub and NELTA – North East London Teaching Alliance and SCITT - to provide high quality learning experiences for all students.
In 2018 our examination results placed us in the top 20% of schools for achievement and progress at KS4 and joint first in Redbridge for sixth form progress.
We are a large school, 12FE with an NOR 2840 which includes an ASD unit and the capacity for 1000 students in Beal Sixth Form co-located on the Beal and Forest Campuses
This is a fundamental appointment to embedding an integrated and inclusive ethos within BSF ensuring BSF provides equality of opportunity across both sites
The successful candidate will value:
- Teaching and learning – experience and outcomes
- High expectation, aspiration and CHOICE
Please read the recruitment pack carefully and then apply on our application form with a supporting statement of no more than two sides of A4.
The Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and expects all members of staff to share this commitment. The below documents must be read prior to applying:
- Keeping Children Safe in Education
- BMAT – Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy
Enhanced DBS (with list checks) is required for this post.
Please send a completed application form available on our website www.bealhighschool.co.uk to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note we reserve the right to close or extend this position, therefore we would urge candidates to submit an application as soon as possible.
DIRECTOR OF SIXTH FORM (ASSISTANT PRINCIPAL) ROLE PROFILE
Purpose of role
The Director of BSF@ TFA campus will articulate clear values and a compelling vision for students, staff, parents and carers, and the wider community on both BSF campuses.
General duties and responsibilities
- Developing an integrated and inclusive ethos within BSF which enables all stakeholders to work collaboratively ensuring BSF provides equality of opportunity across both sites
- Ensuring that BSF’s systems, organisation, and processes are well-considered, efficient and fit for purpose.
- Instilling a robust accountability framework for the Deputy Directors of Sixth Form, Department and pastoral teams for the impact of their work on student outcomes; addressing underperformance.
- Producing and monitoring the progress of challenging, yet realistic evidence-based improvement plans and policies.
- Leading with an emphasis on effective teaching and fostering a love of learning, leading to excellent progress and achievement for all.
- Supporting the exams and admissions process in conjunction with the Data and Exams Team.
- Developing effective relationships with external services to improve academic and social outcomes for all students.
- Leading by example with integrity, creativity, resilience, and clarity; modelling positive relationships and attitudes for our students and staff.
- Actively promoting the interests of BSF in the context of agreed KPIs; translating opportunities arising from local and national policies.
- Ensuring that BSF is outward-facing; seeking and developing partnerships, inspiring career possibilities and progression routes for all BSF students.
Contribution to BSF Ethos and aims
- To transit and liaise collegiately between BHS and TFA as necessary
- To work alongside the sixth form strategic board regarding auditing and evaluating the impact and areas of development of BSF.
- To contribute to the development of appropriate resources, programmes of study, training strategies and policies within the BSF CPD offer.
- To oversee monitoring, tracking and evaluation of the progress of BSF and the devising of strategies to address any occurring problems, including setting progress and attainment targets.
- To work with the sixth form strategic board to formulate coherent and relevant aims, objectives and strategic plans for the development of staff.
- To contribute to the evaluation of the function of BSF and to ensure that the outcomes reflect the plans, aims and objectives of the strategic board.
- To liaise with HoDs of cross-site subjects to ensure the delivery of an appropriate, comprehensive, high quality and cost-effective curriculum which complement KPIs.
- To be accountable for the development and delivery of the collaborative work between BHS and TFA and each school’s contribution to outstanding provision and progression.
- To keep up to date with how the significant change fits into national post-16 curriculum developments, teaching practice and methodology.
- To actively monitor and respond to curriculum developments and initiatives at national, regional and local levels which affect the success and implementation of BSF.
- To liaise with the Vice Principal (Curriculum) and other relevant senior staff attached to BSF.
Deployment of staff
- To work with the Vice Principal Beal Sixth Form and the Deputy Directors of Sixth Form to ensure that development needs are identified and that appropriate programmes of support are designed.
- To contribute to performance management reviews and to act as the curriculum lead Heads of Department (cross-site).
- To promote team work and to motivate staff to ensure effective working relations.
- To implement school quality assurance procedures and to ensure adherence to those within BSF.
- To develop and maintain effective relationships with individuals and organisations including parents, the local governing body, Redbridge LA and the wider community to further the achievement of the BSF’s aims.
- To support work with external agencies and organisations to ensure that any barriers to learning for individuals are overcome.
- To ensure effective communication and consultation, as appropriate, between teachers at TFA and BHS.
- Publicise and celebrate achievements, including managing the local and national media for this purpose.
- Attend relevant LA meetings and events as required by the strategic focus of the role.
Marketing and PR
- To lead the development of effective links between BSF and the community, attending where necessary events at either TFA or BHS.
- To actively promote the development of effective links with external agencies
These duties are neither exclusive nor exhaustive, and details/responsibilities of the post may change. The post holder may be required to carry out such other duties as requested by the Principal and SLT that are broadly within the level of the post.
Reporting to: Vice Principal Beal Sixth Form
Responsible for: BSF Deputy Director of Sixth Form (Curriculum and QA), BSF DAP Yr12/13 (TFA), BSF Sixth Form Administrator (TFA)