Milestone Academy (a member of Leigh Academies Trust) has an exciting and rare opportunity for a talented SEN practitioner to join us in the role of Assistant Principal from September 2020. The appointment is a crucial element of our academy’s journey. We are seeking an individual who is looking to use their energy and vision to make a real impact, contributing to and driving our school to achieve over and above its successes to date. This is a great opportunity within a group of highly successful and collaborative academies to not only lead the personal and academic development of a distinct Phase of pupils (there are four Phases across the academy), but to contribute to a much wider community of schools. Opportunities like this are rare, so use this chance to join our truly outstanding special school.
This role would suit an existing Assistant Principal or senior/middle leader who has a proven record as an outstanding teacher. You will have held positions of responsibility that have made a tangible difference to your own school/academy. The successful candidate will not only be leading their own Phase (small school), but it is likely you will also be line managing the Director of an off-site Satellite Provision in one of our LAT mainstream academies. In the first instance, it is likely that the successful candidate will be the director of one of our older phase groups. However, what we are seeking is an Assistant Principal who can offer the knowledge, skills and understanding where they could be deployed to lead any age group of pupils across the academy.
You’ll be looking to develop a long-term career within one of the most successful multi-academy trusts. We welcome applications from primary and/or secondary practitioners with experience in an SEN setting but particularly those who have worked in a PSCN environment.
Our successful candidate will:
- Demonstrate that the relentless safeguarding of our pupils is a natural part of their core daily business
- Have a relentless drive and desire to continuously improve their Phase and in turn, significantly contribute to Milestone Academy’s growth
- Be a fellow guardian of staff well-being across and beyond their Phase
- Bring to life both our Core Moral Purpose and our annual LAT Academy Performance Agreement
- Deliver the core elements of the role that is openly shared with the Vice Principal
- Have an excellent understanding of SEN and in particular PSCN pupils and their needs
- Be an authentic member of the Assistant Principal Team one that engenders the respect of others
- Be able to act in a selfless and collegiate manner particularly in relation to carrying out actions that benefit the academy and/or other Phases first
- Have the capacity to make the very best decisions for the good of the whole school
- Bring healthy alternative, well thought through views to Senior Leadership Team discussions
If you meet these criteria, we’d very much like to hear from you. For further information click here to view the Job Description & Person Specification. Shortlisting will then be carried out and candidates selected for an interview will be notified as early as possible. Interviews and associated assessment activities are scheduled for Wednesday 1st April 2020.
Working with us at Milestone Academy: Milestone Academy is a consistently outstanding special school (Ofsted 2011, 2016 and 2019) catering for 360 pupils between the ages of 2 and 19 years with profound, severe and complex learning needs including physical, medical and/or sensory needs. Evidence of our relentless pursuit of continuous improvement is delivered via our Ofsted Report (2019).
Milestone Academy is a significantly large special school complete with the formation since 2015 of three satellites provisions based in fellow LAT mainstream academies. Despite this size, each individual pupil from aged 2 -19 wholeheartedly matters to us as do their destinations when our pupils leave Milestone Academy for their life in modern Britain.
Milestone Academy’s philosophy is wrapped around the Principal’s challenge for staff to relentlessly pursue the quality delivery of our Core Moral Purpose. We absolutely believe our families should expect pupils in our care to make progress over time, no matter how small these steps sometimes are.
To ensure there is a sense of belonging for our pupils and staff, the Principal has applied the notions of distributing leadership and delegating authority. This approach sees the academy based in four Phases (up to 100 pupils and 45 staff), each of whom are led by an Assistant Principal who is supported by a Phase Leader (equivalent to a Key Stage Leader) and Behaviour Lead. Each Phase reports into the Vice Principal. Three of the Phases have satellite provisions attached to them. In turn, we experience regular support and well-apportioned challenge from LAT via the COO, ensuring we strive to keep ‘on top of our game’.
Whilst we are an active member of our parent group, Leigh Academies Trust, we also enjoy being a partner school of Kent Special Education Needs Schools Trust and take a national perspective on SEN and PSCN via our chosen membership of Challenge Partners group.
We wish to hear from you if you really want to change our education world and are:
- Currently an Assistant Principal or senior/middle leader ready for the next step in your career
- A resilient, energetic and ambitious school leader, ideally with a track record of success in a PSCN setting
- A motivational and inspirational leader with the highest expectations of staff and pupils
- Clear potential to take up further leadership posts in the future
- Confident and able to communicate a clear vision for your phase
- Able to develop children to reach their full potential regardless of background or circumstance
- Approachable and keen to work with staff across the academy and Trust to ensure wide success
- Able to establish and develop excellent relationships with the community and other stakeholders
- An effective coach of all staff within the academy and able to be an effective public ambassador for Milestone Academy and LAT
- Someone who values bespoke professional and personal development
Our successful candidate will receive:
- A competitive salary
- An exciting LAT career path with opportunities for further progression in the future
- The opportunity to assist in leading a large, outstanding academy with full support from a dedicated academy leadership team
- Security and support on your journey including close collaboration with a small central executive team and a larger group of talented senior leaders to share best.
Recruitment and hiring during COVID-19: Despite the challenges we face, recruitment and hiring will continue for all Leigh Academies Trust vacancies with as little disruption as possible over the coming weeks and months. This is for all senior, teaching and support staff appointments. Applications will still be reviewed and interviews conducted in a timely manner, although interview activities may vary. We will still conduct face to face interviews where possible, and will abide by social distancing protocols such as no hand-shaking, using large meeting rooms, etc. Candidates will be given the option to interview via online video if you cannot attend in person - this can be discussed if your application is shortlisted. If you have any queries or concerns, please get in touch with the LAT Talent Team - firstname.lastname@example.org.