• To provide strategic leadership of teaching and learning.
• To ensure that we have an exceptional climate for learning within Oakbank School, that is both supportive and reflective of our core values and school ethos.
• To ensure that we establish consistently high standards and expectations in regard to planning, delivery
• To provide on-going review and evaluation of pedagogical approaches that impact on student learning.
• To create and continuously develop a collective efficacy and togetherness with reference to the development of teaching and learning through a peer-to-peer philosophy.
• To line manage middle leaders in ensuring the highest standards and best possible experiences and outcomes for our students.
• To work with the leadership of the school to review, develop and implement the strategic direction of the academy to secure continuous improvement and excellence
• To provide the strategic leadership for teaching and learning throughout the school
• To provide support to staff on how to improve their impact in the classroom in order to best meet their student’s learning needs
• To support the AP (ethos) in ensuring that the climate for learning within the Academy is supportive and reflective of our values and ethos
• To work closely with members of the SLT and demonstrate the highest professional standards
• To set the ‘climate’ for teaching and learning within the Academy through developing the ethos, and through the communication of our values, standards and expectations to all stakeholders
• To coordinate the production, use and evaluation of support and guidance packages available for all students who are identified for additional intervention (in partnership with the AP (inclusion) and Middle Leaders)
• To implement a quality assurance framework and self-evaluation system that involves all stakeholders and leads to the synthesis of strategic priorities in relation to quality first teaching
• To lead all aspects in relation to subject SEFs, reviews and action plans
• To work collaboratively with our Middle Leaders and subject teachers in continuously ensuring the student’s learning needs are met
• To monitor, develop and line manage the quality and impact of teaching and learning throughout the school
• To regularly report accurate information in regard to student outcomes (in partnership with Deputy Principal)
• To develop and support effective collaboration between Middle Leaders
• To communicate school values and ethos clearly to all stakeholders, students, staff, parents and the community and ensure all are clear of our expectations of them
• To ensure that our ethos and values permeate through all areas across the academy
• To ensure that resources are managed and allocated effectively to maximise impact at all levels.
• Work closely with the Deputy Principal to track student progress, monitor patterns and take appropriate action to combat underachievement and low aspiration
• To ensure students have a smooth transition between key stages. To develop and support strong partnerships and networking across phase and during transition to ensure effective transition of students into and across the academy
• Promote student participation in social, moral, spiritual, cultural, and recreational activities
• Coordinate the preparation and publishing of the school calendar in relation to subject reviews, extra-curricular trips and visiting speakers
• To lead and support in staff development and training across the academic year – with a focus on teaching and learning
• To participate in Staff Performance Management and appraisal under the Principal’s guidance and the school’s policies and procedures.
• To undertake the duties as requested by the Principal as a member of the Senior Leader Team.
Qualifications and Key Skills Qualified Teacher Status or other appropriate qualifications or experience.
This job description will be supported by the raising achievement plan which may identify key distinct tasks and responsibilities for this role in the school year. These will be derived from ongoing school self-evaluation and other local/national priorities. The Postholder’s duties must be carried out in compliance with the school’s policies and procedures including child protection and safeguarding procedures.
These duties and responsibilities should be regarded as neither exhaustive nor exclusive as the post holder may be required to undertake other reasonably determined duties and responsibilities commensurate with the grading of the post.
The school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment.