Aldar Education is currently seeking an Assistant Principal (Teaching and Learning) at Abdulla Bin Otaiba Charter School (ABO) in Abu Dhabi commencing August 2021 for Academic year 2021 - 2022.
In September 2021, ABO will be starting its 3rd year of opening. ABO follows the US Curriculum and is a large and thriving Charter School, with @ 1500 students, from KG1 (FS2) to Grade 4(Year 5). The ABO aim is to be a collaborative, student centred school, to constantly develop staff, to develop stakeholder voice and to keep evolving in our practice, so demonstrating a change agent attitude.
Successful candidates must have a secure knowledge of teaching and learning and a track record of implementing effective strategies to raise standards and plug gaps in learning. Successful candidates will have a ‘can do’ attitude, as life in a Charter School can be challenging at times, but equally highly rewarding, as our impact upon student learning is clearly visible every day. A sense of humour is vital too!
The successful candidates will be closely aligned with our core values and ethos and possess a genuine understanding and appreciation of the values of the region.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the highly successful Aldar family of schools and to help shape the future of Abu Dhabi’s leading school group.
• Share good practice with colleagues, leading by example and promoting high standards in the delivery of the curriculum;
• Be proactive and interested in keeping the school up-to-date over the latest educational issues, attending courses and conferences as appropriate;
• Keep abreast of educational developments in education systems and how they relate to standards of teaching and learning and to the U.S. curriculum.
• Provide and promote academic liaison between all the sections of the school
• Encourage high teaching standards and to act as a role model to colleagues, in and out of the classroom;
• Develop the classroom practice of teachers at the school to ensure the highest possible academic standards;
• Implement initiatives and practices which enhance the learning experiences provided to the children;
• Monitor and evaluate the teaching and learning through a programme of curriculum observation, including mutual observation and work scrutiny;
• Lead the Curriculum Action Groups with a focus on developing our school curriculum;
• Work closely with Middle Leaders in developing schemes of work, policy documents and development plans, and ensure that relevant planning and evaluations are completed;
• Support colleagues in the promotion of high standards in each subject area;
• Work closely with the Ed Tech Leader and other staff in ensuring that technology plays a vital role in the delivery of the curriculum;
• Ensure that the school’s policies are adhered to in respect of teaching and learning.
• Assist the Senior Leadership Team in deciding appropriate whole school Professional Development;
• Be closely involved in the appointment and induction of new teaching staff;
• Be involved in the Appraisal and Performance Review of staff;
• Monitor, with SLT, the professional development needs of staff;
• Be responsible for the regular review of whole school curriculum and Teaching and Learning policies;
• Add opinion and thought to whole school development issues.
• Bachelor Degree in Education or B.A or B.Sc degree with PGCE is essential. Desirable Master’s degree.
• At least 6 years’ experience, including 4 consecutive years teaching performance exceeds standards and expectations as evidenced by performance appraisal
• At least 2 years’ experience in middle leadership role
• Experience of leading school initiatives that have led to improvement in standards and achievement.
• Experience working with parents and external agencies.
• Outstanding classroom practitioner with the knowledge, understanding and practical application of effective teaching and learning strategies in order to raise standards
• Proven track record as a teacher whose students reach high standards of learning and achievement
• A track record demonstrating a commitment to high standards, continuous improvement and quality assurance
• Successful experience of strategic leadership and management at Middle Leader level
• A track record of effectively leading, managing and motivating students and staff and developing team approaches
• Clear vision for and proven track record of raising attainment and achievement and dealing with underachievement
• Knowledge and understanding of the use and potential of ICT to develop learning and raise standards
• Ability to interpret and analyse school performance data
• Expertise in making reliable and valid judgements with regard to the quality of teaching and learning
• Ability to lead and manage people within and beyond the school community to work towards common goals
• Ability to prioritise and manage own time effectively and work under pressure and to deadlines
• Ability to maintain strictest confidentiality and integrity at all times
• Ability to establish a positive ethos with an accent on high achievement for all
• An effective communicator and motivator of students and staff, able to enable and empower others
• A team player with the ability to establish good working relationships with staff, students and parents
• The ability to communicate clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing at all levels
• The ability to set clear expectations and parameters and to hold others to account for their performance
• The ability to challenge underperformance
• Ability to deal with problems in a positive and systematic manner
A covering letter and CV including details of two referees should be submitted via the TES website.
Aldar Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. Offers of appointment are subject to satisfactory references and police clearance.
Abdulla Bin Otaiba School
United Arab Emirates
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- Primary School
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 10 years