Are you looking for a challenging and fulfilling new role in Germany?
We are seeking additional boarding tutors to join our dynamic and committed team. In this role, you will be in charge of a tutor group of approximately 10-12 pupils, will undertake boarding duties and will be a pro-active member of our large and committed tutor team. Whilst the majority of our boarding tutors do not have a teaching background, we are very keen to find the right people for this exciting role and would welcome applications from both those who would like to teach at our school alongside a tutoring role and those who seek only a tutoring position. In addition, this post would suit someone already pursuing a career in a boarding school environment or interested in doing so. Accommodation on site is available.
Klosterschule Roßleben, founded in 1554, is one of Germany’s foremost boarding schools. As far back as 1190, it was a monastery under the protection of the Witzleben family, who later founded the school. Today we rate highly as a non-confessional boarding school for girls and boys aged 11 to 18. Located in the middle of Germany (just 2 hours southwest of Germany´s capital Berlin) the campus is set in rolling countryside in Thüringen, the cultural heart of Germany. The closest major towns are Leipzig, Erfurt and Weimar. Leipzig airport is an hour away by car. The school population comprises approximately 400 students of whom 80 are full boarders and 100 day boarders. Our students come from all over Germany: in addition, we have a select number of international students from various countries.
Internationalism is one of the principal aims of Roßleben. As a member of Round Square and of the German Boarding Schools Association (DIV), our school is in a position to develop, strengthen its global perspective and help students to become responsible members of a global community.
In this role, you will be responsible for the well-being of the students including extracurricular activities, sports, homework and health. The frontline role is the supervision and pastoral care of a group of approximately 10-12 teenagers, acting as the main point of contact with parents and supporting the students academically and pastorally. In addition, you will share the responsibility along with the other members of the tutor team for the well-being and welfare of all 80 boarders at the school. You will play a major role in setting the tone to help students become self-confident, responsible and tolerant members of the community. You would be expected to offer a varied weekly programme of ‘tutor group evenings’ and to offer a hobby as an extra-curricular activity (‘Gilde’ in German) for example sport, cultural, culinary or outdoors, to both boarders and day pupils. You would be expected to support our recently launched ‘Studium generale’ programme, which encourages pupils to participate in and collect credit points in 15 different areas, including for example outward bounds, music, sport, service and leadership, amongst others.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Professional experience of working with teenagers and/or qualifications in this field
- Good working knowledge (at least) of German, with an ability to speak English an advantage
- Strong interpersonal skills and empathy
- The ability to be both understanding of teenagers, whilst also setting and demanding high standards of behaviour
- Flexibility regarding working hours and extracurricular activities
- A positive ‘can do it’ attitude, dedication, and the ability to act as a role model to students and other team members
- Self-motivated, proactive, hands-on mentality, maintaining a visual presence whilst on duty
- An ability to organize and to be consistent
- An ability to motivate, inspire good behaviour and work alongside teenagers
- A good sense of humor and the ability to stay calm in challenging situations
- An ability to teach an academic subject would also interest us, but is by no means a pre-requisite
We are looking forward to getting to know you!
To apply kindly send a cv and a short covering letter addressed to Francis Retter at the email address below.
School website: www.klosterschule.de
For further information and/or the opportunity to discuss the role informally please contact:
Francis Retter (Head of Boarding School) email@example.com
Tel: 0049 151 46608396