Aldar Academies are seeking a Career and Guidance Counsellor for Al Bateen Academy commencing January 2022.
Al Bateen Academy is located in the center of the city of Abu Dhabi and is a hugely popular school based in a vibrant community. The school is a high achieving British and IB World School (Years 7 to 13) easily exceeding IB Diploma global averages year on year and achieving outstanding I/GCSE results. The school recently expanded into primary years, starting with FS2 to Year 3, and developed this year to include a full primary provision, FS2 to Year 6. The Primary Years Programme (PYP) is an exciting addition and will eventually provide the community with an all through school from FS1 to Year 13 offering PYP, UK and IB Diploma options.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the highly successful Aldar family of schools and to help shape the future of Abu Dhabi’s leading school group.
The successful candidates will be closely aligned with our core values and ethos and possess a genuine understanding and appreciation of the values of the region.
- Counsel students with course/subject selection, adjusting to a new school, study skills and career planning.
- Organise career events, drop-ins and any other relevant events throughout the academic year as part of the School’s impartial careers guidance strategy.
- Establish links with other educational institutions in Abu Dhabi - universities and colleges - to organise student visits and in-school events and presentations by guest speakers.
- Organise and host the School University fair.
- Oversee implementation of any online systems (such as Unifrog) for supporting students with guidance for higher education applications and preparation.
- To support students with preparations for post-secondary institutions (universities/colleges) admissions interviews.
- To develop working partnerships with university and college admission officers.
- To administer all university applications including UCAS, Common App, and other countries applications processes.
- Plan and establish work placement opportunities for Year 10 and 12 students as required.
- Organise in school workshops and career talks from professionals in a variety of fields by utilising the parent and broader community.
- Promote entrepreneurship across the School and support with the Head of Business in running of school wide enterprise events.
- To develop opportunities in the curriculum for subject areas to implement an understanding of careers and vocations within specific subject areas
- Impart relevant study skills techniques for effective learning and academic excellence through the delivery of student and parent workshops.
- Facilitate student goal setting (academic, personal, and career goals), track and meet deadlines, time-management and organizational skills.
- Develop an approach for whole-school, individual student personal portfolios which will reflect their learning journey and experiences.
- Implement a bespoke primary school enterprise and career award or skill development programme to be enacted through curriculum adaptations within the PYP or after school CAS provision
- Build up a local and international knowledge of university, college entrance requirements and applications processes, and produce a guide for staff, students, and parents.
- Oversight and implementation of all senior school students’ SATs testing.
- Ensure students are organised and entered for regional EmSAT testing.
- Ensure students are entered and administration completed for all university admissions tests for specific academic routes including, but not limited to: BMAT, IELTS, UCAT, TSA- Oxford, Cambridge, UCL.
- Conduct individual and group career-related tests for self-awareness, discovery of values, interests and skills e.g. Kudos, for specific year groups including the Year 9 options programme and Years 12 – 13 university preparation..
- Organize/contribute to I/GCSE Options Evening, IB Information Evening and Years 10 – 13 Parents’ Evening.
- Work with the School Librarian to develop a Careers Library.
- Work with pastoral teams to brief them on careers, guidance and related issues and contribute to the PSHE/Citizenship programme as required.
- Maintain accurate records of meetings with students and parents.
- Any other duties, which the Principal deems appropriate.
- To lead the development of a school alumni.
- To host appropriate assemblies throughout the year relevant to different year group interests.
- Provide training and support for all staff in areas related to post-secondary education applications particularly reference writing.
- BA Degree in Education or any related field
- A high level of professionalism and consideration of the well-being of children
- A clean enhanced Disclosure and Barring Services check or police check
- Experience of careers guidance is highly desirable
Job Specific Knowledge & Skill
- Knowledgeable of careers and university provision and preparation programmes
- Has integrity and strong personal communication skills
- Highly organised and can manage timelines efficiently
- Has competent IT skills
- Has an appreciation of cultural diversity
- Personal drive and ability to manage workload when working independently
WHAT WE OFFER
Aldar Academies are a family of world-class, child centered, and innovative schools based in the UAE. We educate over 25,000 students across our group of owned and managed schools and as we grow so does our need for highly skilled, inspirational, and dedicated school leaders. We offer an attractive remuneration package including medical cover, flights, housing, and free child school places. Our future-focused learning model includes both students and staff and so we place a special emphasis on professional development, coaching and training.
Successful candidates will have access to a wide network of professionals and opportunities to both lead and con-tribute to training others as well as developing themselves.
Aldar Academies are keen to hear from like-minded, forward thinking school leaders who would welcome the challenge and opportunities that we have to offer.
This job description is not all inclusive. Aldar Education reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We are also mindful of our national development strategy and encourage UAE Nationals in their application at our company.
Aldar Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. Offers of appointment are subject to satisfactory references and police clearance.
Welcome to Al Bateen Academy
Al Bateen opened in September 2011 to provide high quality education from the ages of 4 to 18. The school follows the IB PYP for FS2 to Year 3, English National Curriculum, with an international dimension, in Years 7 to 9...