The Carpenter is responsible to the Estate’s Supervisor for carrying out maintenance and joinery repairs, including operating machinery in the joinery workshop. On occasions the carpenter will also be asked to carry out general tasks such as responding to requests to transport deliveries and furniture throughout the school. The Carpenter will be working with bursary staff, housemasters/mistresses and all teaching staff.
• To react to day to day maintenance tasks as directed by the Estate’s Supervisor or Estate’s Assistant e.g. to replace broken ironmongery, ease and adjust doors and windows.
• To undertake pre-planned maintenance and repair works.
• Installing new kitchen units within staff houses (plumbing and electrical work will be done by others within the team).
• To manufacture and fit joinery items such as windows and doors.
• To help set up furniture and temporary structures such as gazebos for special events for the school.
• To carry out additional duties required as part of the Estates Department as directed by the Estates Manager, or Estates Supervisor.
• To operate mobile elevating work platforms and erect/use tower scaffolding in support of maintenance tasks and for other tasks as directed (professional training will be provided).
The starting salary will be commensurate with skills and experience but is expected to be circa £24,000 per annum.
Hours of Work / Working Pattern Requirements
The basic hours are 8.00 am to 4.30 pm Monday to Friday with an unpaid lunch break of 30 minutes. Working up to 12 Saturday mornings per year, 8.00am till 1.00pm. To join the on call rota (max 1 week in 6) to be available to attend site to deal with estates maintenance related emergencies.
For further details please see the attached job description and to apply, please visit our School website vacancies page.