Situated in a beautiful area of North Dorset, with easy road access to London, Bath, Bristol, Exeter and the glorious Dorset coast, The Gryphon School is a highly over-subscribed 11-18, inclusive, Church of England school that welcomes those of all faiths and of none. Our students come first and we encourage every student to strive for the highest possible levels of academic achievement alongside developing the personal attributes and qualities to thrive and make a positive contribution throughout life. We also pride ourselves on our support and care for everyone and each other.
Due to the retirement of a member of staff, we are seeking an inspirational, committed teacher, able to demonstrate exceptional teaching and learning skills, to lead Chemistry as a member of the collegiate Science Leadership Group, supporting outstanding teaching, learning and student progress. For the right candidate, we are also offering the opportunity to assume a lead role for Whole Science in addition to leading Chemistry. This is a wonderful opportunity to join a large, successful, highly regarded and supportive team of specialists. Large numbers take A level courses in Physics, Chemistry and Biology as well as AGQ Science. We offer Combined Science, Biology, Chemistry and Physics GCSE at KS4. There is the flexibility to teach all or any of the Science specialisms.
The successful candidate will:
- have a strong subject knowledge and passion for all aspects of Science
- be able to realise fully the role of middle leader in a highly successful school
- have excellent communication skills, be able to share ideas and good practice as well as inspire others
- have the ability to support, challenge and inspire our students, encouraging them to achieve the best they can through the promotion of outstanding teaching and learning
- be a team player who will go the extra mile to support students, who will enjoy the challenges of this role and be able to build relationships quickly
- have the ability to plan, design and implement the vision and direction of the Department and be able to inspire and motivate others to share in that vision
- have the ability to play a full role in leading and enhancing the current high standards in Science
- show respect to others - students, parents and colleagues - in order to get the best out of them
- be positive, optimistic, caring, kind and approachable
- be willing to be immersed in the life of a busy and successful school.
The Gryphon School is successful in gaining high results for its students at both GCSE and A-level. The large Sixth Form of 430 students is exceptional. Its students have an excellent record of success in gaining university entrance, including to Oxbridge and the Russell Group, and in the most challenging courses.
We are a very proud school which attracts students from around North and West Dorset as well as South Somerset. The Gryphon is a wonderful place to work and has a special atmosphere and feel. It became an academy in August 2012 to sustain the quality of our outstanding provision. You will find Sherborne to be a centre for educational excellence as well as a beautiful rural country town. We are an outward looking school with excellent community links as well as strong relationships with other good and outstanding schools across the South West and England. Teaching is often outstanding. Teachers make lessons stimulating and practical. They have excellent subject knowledge.
The Good Schools Guide described pastoral care and discipline as ‘exceptional’. Students are reflective, behave with great courtesy, and are heavily involved in working with staff to improve the school and the welfare of others. We are a comprehensive school serving a diverse community. The high quality support staff make a real difference. Our special culture and ethos focuses on high achievement both personally and academically which comes from the tremendous work of all our staff and the great achievements of our students. The A Level average points score per entry is the highest of all Dorset state schools and one of the highest in the country; it was also the highest for academic A levels as well as vocational A levels. The Gryphon School: A Company Limited by Guarantee
Closing Date: THURSDAY 8 DECEMBER 2016
Interviews: It is hoped to hold the interviews as soon as possible after the closing date
School Office on 01935 813122, website on www.gryphon.dorset.sch.uk or e-mail email@example.com
Registered in England Company Number: 08130468