Aldar Academies are currently seeking an outstanding Chemistry Teacher for Al Yasmina Academy in Abu Dhabi to start immediately.
Al Yasmina Academy is an outstanding English Curriculum school in the beautiful city of Abu Dhabi. It is an exciting, challenging and enjoyable place for all, where the staff are dedicated to providing a stimulating environment, where everyone feels valued and safe, ideas can flourish and students can realise their full potential. A love of learning, enquiry, independence, creativity, motivation and resilience are key factors in our learning culture. We appreciate the importance of achieving high standards and support that process. It is important to us that we provide academic rigour within a supportive and inviting environment in which students enjoy attending and feel safe. We aim to equip our students to become global citizens of the future, able to make a positive contribution to society.
We value highly the partnership between home and Academy and encourage all parents to take an active part in the education of their children. The Academy cannot work in isolation. The partnership between Academy staff, parents and other stakeholders is an essential one. Together we can set challenges and our partners can join us when we ask how can we do it even better.
Areas of Responsibility and Key Tasks Planning, Preparation, Teaching and Lesson Management
Teach allocated students by planning their teaching to achieve outstanding progression of learning through:
• Creating a climate that is conducive for outstanding Learning and Teaching
• Identifying clear teaching objectives and specifying how they will be taught and assessed
• Setting tasks which challenge students and ensure high levels of interest
• Setting appropriate and demanding expectations
• Setting clear targets, building on prior attainment
• Identifying SEN or very able students
• Providing clear structures for lessons maintaining pace, motivation and challenge
• Making effective use of assessment and ensure coverage of programmes of study
• Making effective use of performance data and key indicators to inform planning and therefore deliver differentiated learning – matched to need
• Ensuring effective teaching and best use of available time
• Maintaining an effective learning environment in accordance with the academy's procedures and encouraging good practice with regard to punctuality, behaviour, standards of work and homework
• Using a variety of teaching methods to:
i. match approach to content, structure information, present a set of key ideas and use appropriate vocabulary
ii. use effective questioning, listen carefully to students, give attention to errors and misconceptions
iii. select appropriate learning resources and develop study skills through library, I.C.T. and other learning technologies
• Ensuring students acquire and consolidate knowledge, skills and understanding appropriate to the subject taught
• Evaluating own teaching critically to improve effectiveness
• Ensuring the effective and efficient deployment of classroom support
Monitoring, Assessment, Recording, Reporting
• Assess how well learning objectives have been achieved and use them to improve specific aspects of teaching;
• Mark and monitor students' work and set targets for progress
• Using performance data to inform planning and therefore ensuring the Learning and Teaching continue to ‘add value
• Assess and record students' progress systematically and keep records to check work is understood and completed, monitor strengths and areas for development, inform planning and recognise the level at which the student is achieving
• Undertake assessment of students as requested by examination bodies, departmental and academy procedures;
• Prepare and present informative reports to parents
• Take part in subject or aspects of the academy's work and develop plans which identify clear targets and success criteria for its development and / or maintenance
Contribute to the whole academy's visioning activities.
Other Professional Requirements
• Have a working knowledge of teachers' professional duties and legal liabilities
• Operate at all times within the stated policies and practices of the academy
• Know subject(s) or specialism(s) to enable effective teaching
• Establish effective working relationships and set an outstanding example through their presentation and personal and professional conduct
• Endeavour to give every child the opportunity to reach their potential and meet high expectations;
• Co-operate with other staff to ensure a sharing and effective usage of resources to the benefit of the academy, department and students
• Contribute to the corporate life of the academy through effective participation in meetings and management systems necessary to coordinate the leadership and management of the academy
• Take part in marketing and liaison activities such as Open evenings/afternoons, Parent Teacher Consultations, and events with partner academy
• Take responsibility for own professional development and duties in relation to academy policies and practices;
• Liaise effectively with parents
- Bachelor of Education Degree in Chemistry or bachelor’s degree in Equivalent Field with PGCE or other teacher qualification.
- Experience of a British Curriculum is essential,
- 2 years of experience in teaching Chemistry including GCSE and A Level
- Previous experience working with students whom English is not their first language
- A high level of professionalism and consideration of the well-being of children
- Recent and consistent involvement in extra-curricular activities
- Respect for all members of a school community, irrespective of position, gender, age and ethnic background
- A clean enhanced Disclosure and Barring Services check or police check
Aldar Academies are a family of world-class, child centered, and innovative schools based in the UAE. We educate over 25,000 students across our group of owned and managed schools and as we grow so does our need for highly skilled, inspirational, and dedicated school leaders. We offer an attractive remuneration package including medical cover, flights, housing, and free child school places. Our future-focused learning model includes both students and staff and so we place a special emphasis on professional development, coaching and training.
This job description is not all inclusive. Aldar Education reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. We are also mindful of our national development strategy and encourage UAE Nationals in their application at our company.
Aldar Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff to share this commitment. Offers of appointment are subject to satisfactory references and police clearance.
Al Yasmina Academy
Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 18 years