Sark School are seeking to appoint a new Class Teacher starting in the Summer Term of 2022, on a three-year contract with a possible extension for a further three years.
‘Education is the greatest gift we can give our children, and essential for the future of our island.’
Group 1 school, M1 to M6 equivalent dependent upon experience, to include subsidised accommodation. Applications from NQTs welcome.
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of our school team in a unique community, with an established history of educating our island’s children. Our school currently caters for 36 children, so classes are small with an average of 9 pupils per class. We are situated in a modern, purpose-built school on the idyllic island of Sark, in the Channel Islands, and with our Head of School, you will be part of a team that takes our school forwards at an exciting stage in its development.
Our new class teacher will:
● have high expectations for every child and a passionate commitment to raising standards within a broad, creative curriculum;
● teach with integrity and kindness, stay true to our ethos and values and have experience of high performance in the UK or Channel Islands teaching system;
● be able to develop and build positive relationships with children, parents and the wider island community;
● be forward-thinking, open to new ideas and initiatives that will enhance the children’s learning; able to transcend the obvious geographical barriers to ensure learning opportunities are contemporary and linked to the wider world;
● be an inspirational teacher who can work as part of a team to deliver an outstanding, child-centred learning experience for every child;
● have the expertise to teach children and young people aged 3 to 13 years.
In return, we can offer you:
● pupils who enjoy the opportunities to learn inside and outside of the classroom, who are polite and behave well;
● a purpose built educational environment, rich with technology and outdoor space;
● the opportunity to be an integral part of developing the future of education on the island;
● accommodation, in a beautiful island house, suitable for you and your family (if you are accompanied);
● the unique lifestyle that comes from living and working on the island of Sark.
The post is offered as a three-year contract (with the opportunity to extend the role for a further term of three years).
Please see the attached application form, person specification and appointment timeline. Candidates are requested to submit an application form with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday the 19th January 2022.
As part of the short-listing process, successful candidates will be required to submit a short video interview prior to final interviews. Final interviews will involve a funded trip to the island of Sark for candidates and their partners in mid-february 2022.
For the final interviews, flights for the candidate will be funded from a UK airport only (or financial equivalent from any other destination to a maximum of £150). Ferry crossings and accommodation on Sark will be fully funded for both the candidates and their partners. Short-listed candidates will need to be free to travel to Sark between the 5-7th or the 12-14th of Febrary 2022 for face-to-face interviews and observations.
For more information or to informally discuss the position, please contact the Head of Sark School, Mr Nick Wolfe, on 01481 832601 or email email@example.com.
For more general information about living on Sark, visit www.sark.co.uk .
Early applications are strongly advised.
Sark School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We require the successful applicant to undertake an enhanced criminal records check via the Disclosure & Barring Service.
Located on the Channel Island of Sark, our school provides an all-round education for the island's children aged from 3 to 13 years old. We are undoubtedly a small school with big ambitions!
Sark is the smallest of the four main Channel Islands, loca...