Does developing a new initiative and guiding young learners towards internationally minded secondary education intrigue you? We’re looking for an innovative educator who has experience with the international primary or middle years programme with strong collaboration skills, as you will be working closely with the Hermann Wesselink College (HWC) in Amstelveen (The Netherlands) setting up the International Crossover Class for children aged 11 and 12 which will start in April 2021 (depending on COVID19 developments).
What is the International Crossover Class?
The ICC offers high quality education for international students who want to start or continue studying an international curriculum. Children aged 11 or 12 who are new to the Netherlands and have not yet decided whether they want to enter Dutch, bilingual or international education, are welcome to join. In the Netherlands the first year of high school is for 12-year-olds. Children in this age group are not allowed to attend a Dutch primary school (group 8) or secondary school (grade 6) because they don’t speak the Dutch language or because they are too young. Therefore, new students who want to enter Dutch secondary education have to attend an intermediate year (language class) first to learn the Dutch language. If they prefer international education, the ICC could be a suitable place to start.
The ICC offers an innovative curriculum. We will be following the International Middle Years Curriculum (IMYC). The language of instruction is English. A minimum of two Dutch lessons is also offered to our students as part of their integration in the Dutch culture. Our initiative supports all students who are in a transitional year between primary and secondary education. The Hermann Wesselink College currently offers secondary education in two main streams: Dutch and bilingual. They are enthusiastic to launch the ICC working in close collaboration with Amstelland International Primary School. The HWC already welcomes a large number of international students.
If you are:
• a creative and innovative teacher with the understanding of and experience with inquiry-based learning;
• highly skilled in implementing positive behaviour strategies, embracing global citizenship, diversity and understanding the needs of international children;
• passionate about developing a growth mindset and inspiring children to become curious about their learning processes;
• by nature an educator who believes in differentiation and understands multiple learning styles creating a strong framework in which your students can thrive;
• as curious about the Dutch culture and host country as your students will be;
• compassionate, kind, helpful, flexible, open to new ideas and a good sense of humour;
• by nature a leader, an innovator and a team player.
• Qualified Teacher Status: DUO accreditation permitting you to teach this particular age group. Dual competence, both primary and secondary school teaching qualification is a plus;
• fluent in spoken and written English;
• preferably specialist experience in the IMYC or IB MYP;
• 3 to 5 years international (primary and/or 1st or 2nd year secondary) school teaching experience;
• a European work visa;
• excellent knowledge and experience of different teaching and educational methodologies;
• excellent interpersonal, organisational and class management skills;
• the ability to seek contact and take the initiative to work closely with the Hermann Wesselink College and your future colleagues;
• the willingness to collaborate with Amstelland International School and team;
• in the process of learning the Dutch language or proficient in Dutch;
• provide a police clearance (Verklaring Omtrent Gedrag).
Salary scale according to Dutch primary school labour law (CAO) L10 (min. € 2,678 max. € 4,113 full-time).
All non-Dutch teaching qualifications must be verified by DUO. We are not able to employ a teacher until this process has been completed. Details of how qualifications can be verified are to be found on the DUO website via the link.
Has this vacancy sparked your enthusiasm? Please send your application to the attention of Mrs. Wendy van Vliet to email@example.com with a letter of motivation along with your CV and contact details of two professional references. For a quick view of the Hermann Wesselink College and Amstelland International School, you can visit the websites. Please click here and here . Your references will only be contacted if you are in the final selection. All applications are required to be written in English and submitted before February 6 2021.
Hermann Wesselink College
Amstelveen, the Netherlands