Position: College Chaplain
Classification: Term Time, 12 month Contract
Hours: 12 hours per week - 3 days per week
Pay Rate: School Officer Level 5 - $33.56 - $35.19 per hour
Start Date: Immediate Start
Closing Date: Friday, 22nd January 2021 unless filled prior
About the role
St Teresa's College, Abergowrie s seeking applications from suitability qualified and passionate individuals for the position of Chaplain to commence in Term 1, 2021.
The role of the Chaplain is to work in a collaborative partnership with the college community to provide pastoral and spiritual support to students.
The Chaplain works to create opportunities for faith development of students and advance the religious life of the college community. The Chaplain will foster the experience of Catholic community within the College and engage the community in social justice and social action. The Chaplain encourages and facilitates connections with Church/faith communities and agencies.
- Provide pastoral and spiritual support to students
- Spend informal time with students (e.g. playground, classroom and excursions)
- Mentor and provide practical support to students during their transition to adulthood
- Coordinate and facilitate reflection and prayer experiences (e.g. reflection days, retreats, forums, meetings and other similar experiences)
- Contribute to the organisation of major school liturgies and celebrations
- Contribute to the development and promotion of Catholic ethos within the School Community
- Support events that promote the collegiate spirit of the school
- Under the direction of the Principal, initiate contact with families of the School community (e.g. families experiencing sickness, families new to the school experiencing hardship)
- Make information available to students around issues of social justice support and resource service groups within the School community
- Encourage student involvement in parish faith communities
- Facilitate ecumenical and inter-faith relationships and activities
- Participate in TCE facilitated programs for professional learning
- Contribute to local cluster gatherings of Chaplains
- Generalist administration support
- Any other task as reasonably directed.
- Demonstrated organisational and time management skills to balance competing priorities
- Experience in providing ministry and spiritual support and wellbeing services students
- Experience in the provision of support to children and young people and their families to address social and emotional needs.
- Ability to liaise with community service organisations, government agencies and other services
- Ability to support the college and teachers to identify and develop educational, social and emotional programs to support children and young people
- Ability to support the ethos and values of Catholic Education
- Ability to develop and sustain productive working relationships.
- Sound understanding of the Mission and Purpose of Catholic Education and to developing an understanding of religious and values education in young people
- Willingness to work and collaborate with students, staff and college
- Current Working with Children Suitability Card - The successful candidate will require a paid Blue Card before commencement as per the No Card, No Start policy developed by Queensland Government
- Certificate IV in Youth Work, Chaplaincy or Pastoral Care or equivalent or higher qualification – this qualification must include competencies in ‘making appropriate referrals’ and mental heath
- Current Driver’s Licence
- Ability to travel from time to time within the Catholic Diocese of Townsville
- Ability to perform the physical requirements of the role in a safe manner.
Please see the Position Description for further information.
How to apply
- Complete the application form
- Upload a cover letter/supporting statement (no more than 2 A4 pages) which addresses your suitability in relation to the qualifications, experience, knowledge and skills required of the role.
- Upload a current resume which also includes the name, email address and contact details of two referees.
The closing date for applications for this role is 4pm Friday, 22nd January 2021 unless filled prior.
Diocese of Townsville Catholic Education