Through its two trading subsidiaries, Malvern College operates a wide range of commercial activities in support of the College. These include a weddings and events business, trading respectively as Malvern College Weddings and Malvern College Events, a thriving health club, operating as Malvern Active, a summer school business which includes both English language courses and the College’s own music course, the National Schools Symphony Orchestra, and an educational guardianship agency, College Guardians. These activities, along with a number of incidental commercial enterprises, constitute the College’s “domestic” commercial income stream. Further to this, the College operates, through local partners, a growing network of international schools in Asia and the Middle East.
The College now wishes to appoint a Commercial Manager to support the continued growth and development of its domestic commercial activities to enable the Director of International Schools to focus more fully on growing the College’s international schools portfolio.
Reporting to the Director of International Schools, this position will play a critical role in maximising income generation, in particular through overseeing the management and development of the full range of the College’s campus-based commercial activities. It is envisaged that College Guardians will not initially be part of the Commercial Manager’s brief, but this will be reviewed once the successful applicant has taken up post. Experience setting up and/or managing children’s holiday courses would be an advantage as this is an area of the commercial portfolio the College would like to focus on in particular.
Main Duties, Activities and Responsibilities
• Assist the Director of International Schools in identifying key business development opportunities, and take lead responsibility for developing these
• Oversee the work of the Events and Sports Complex teams, through the Events Manager and Sports Complex Operations Manager respectively
• Oversee the work of the Commercial Marketing Manager and her work with all commercial stakeholders
• Take lead responsibility for the ongoing development of Malvern College Summer School
• Oversee the ongoing development of the National Schools Symphony Orchestra (in liaison with the Director of International Schools)
• Oversee the provision of school uniform through the commercial arrangements negotiated with the College’s retail provider, in liaison with the Deputy Head Pastoral and The Downs Malvern
• Manage the College’s relationships with Worcestershire County Cricket Club and the Worcester Warriors, in liaison with relevant stakeholders including the College’s marketing team
• Oversee commercial activity at The Downs Malvern, the College’s associated preparatory school, through the Events team, who are primarily responsible for the delivery of commercial activity at the school
• Oversee the recruitment of all seasonal staff required to operate summer courses and events
• Assist the Director of International Schools in preparing annual budgets and monitoring performance of business sectors against budget