To meet the needs of Deaf/Hearing Impaired learners including communication support in class and out of class support to remove barriers to accessing learning and participation.
To promote equality and integration for Deaf/Hearing Impaired Learners with curriculum and the wider college.
To encourage learner independence using support strategies.
1. To provide communication support to Deaf/hearing impaired students across the whole College curriculum by using an appropriate method of communication e.g. British Sign Language, Sign Supported English, Lip Speaking, Clear Lip Pattern. This includes incidental hearing, activities, educational trips or work experience.
2. To implement, record, review and adapt support strategies throughout the academic year.
3. To work closely with curriculum to encourage inclusive teaching practice including delivery of awareness information to staff.
4. To provide sign language communication at College functions as required.
5. To develop/adapt Deaf/HI accessible resources/glossaries and moderate language as required.
6. To provide communication support for learners requiring additional social and welfare issues e.g. support with contacting outside agencies.
7. To assist learners with the use of specialist equipment and software.
8. To liaise with the Student Support Manager to ensure student details, PEEPs, exam concessions and specialist equipment are in place.
9. Any other duties, of a similar level of responsibility, as may be required.