Curriculum Leader of Music
Salary: TSAT Teacher Scale T1-T10 £25,750 - £39,964 plus TLR2 of £4,574
Closing Date Monday 14th October 2019
Starting Date: January 2020
Interview Date: Tuesday 22nd & Wednesday 23rd October 2019
We place great importance on our performing arts subjects, being very aware of the impact that music can have on the improved wellbeing and mental health of our children, as a result Music will take pride of place in our brand new £5.3 million building, opening in September 2020. This building will house a state of the art recording studio and music suite along with new facilities for drama, allowing the performing arts teams to work closely together to bring performance to the heart of what we do
The Thinking Schools Academy Trust is in the top 10 Multi-Academy Trusts for KS4 progress
Ofsted April 2017 – The Portsmouth Academy is a GOOD school with OUTSTANDING leadership and management.
We are looking for a teacher with a “strong digital background”, someone who is experienced in the use of sound desks, productions and working within a music recording studio.
We are seeking to appoint an exceptional, energetic and inspirational Head of Music to lead our Music department. A gifted/talented musician who can convey their passion for their subject to the school and its wider community would be desirable.
We are privileged to work in a stunning learning environment with excellent resources. The Academy is focused on providing an education for all children and ensuring that every child has access to the same opportunities, Our belief is that each person is unique – every member of our community has gifts and talents that we seek to grow and channel. Our job is to find and foster these for all. We offer a broad and balanced curriculum geared towards ensuring that our students will be dynamic members of society when they leave the Academy.
As part of The Thinking Schools Academy Trust, we benefit from working cohesively as a family of schools for the benefit of our children, and for the adults who work here too. The Trust supports with planning, trips, events, CPD and much more to ensure that all of our teachers are fully supported, enabling them to ensure that they can deliver the best learning that we can offer. Our mission is to “transform life chances”; at The Thinking Schools Academy Trust we believe education has the power to change lives and children only have one chance to get this right. To ensure all our academies focus on our mission school leaders translated our mission to core values that would be demonstrated and evident in all our Academies:
Child First, Aspire, Challenge, Achieve
What you’ll need to succeed:
• Be a qualified and experienced Music Teacher.
• Be able to consistently deliver good or outstanding practice.
• Be experienced in planning an appropriate and challenging curriculum.
• Have a thorough knowledge of present curriculum developments, particularly those relating to Music.
• Assist the school in ensuring that music is accessible to all pupils.
• Have a good knowledge and experience of working with current musical genres which engage young people.
• Have experience of and knowledge of how digital and technical resources can enhance the teaching of music.
• Be an inspiring teacher with real enthusiasm for the subject.
• Be able to motivate his/her pupils.
• Be committed to high standards for both staff and students.
• Have excellent knowledge/experience of teaching Music.
• To implement and support all Academy policies.
• Be prepared to contribute to the extra-curricular life of the Academy, including collaborating with other performing arts departments to bring performance to the heart of the school.
• To ensure that the standards of teaching and learning across the Muisc department are Good and Outstanding through coaching and quality assurance processes.
• To collaborate with other leaders and managers in raising standards within the curriculum to Good and Outstanding including all student groups.
What we can offer you:
• An excellent environment for learning and teaching. The Portsmouth Academy has undergone major refurbishment and a further building phase will commence in 2019 including a state of the art new building with fantastic facilities to house, art music and drama.
• We place a strong emphasis on “Wellbeing for Staff” here at The Portsmouth Academy and were proud to receive the Wellbeing award at the recent Teach Portsmouth Awards. Our Wellbeing strategy consists of regular opportunities to participate in on site activities such as Pilates, Ceramics and Football each week.
• A high performing environment which is dedicated to achieving the ‘Art’s Mark’ within the coming academic year.
• Highly supportive subject mentoring with a strong professional development programme to ensure that the Teachers’ Standards are well developed.
• Progress is significantly above the national average in a range of subjects.
• With an outstanding Leadership and Management team, we are focused on providing our staff with bespoke CPD tailored to the stage they are at in their career.
• The Academy operates a very clear behaviour structure and pupil’s conduct in lessons and around the school is excellent. – Ofsted 2017
• Support from across the Trust to help you deliver outstanding practice through resources, mentoring and school visits.
• We work closely with Teach Portsmouth, The Portsmouth Education Partnership and Portsmouth Teaching Schools Alliance
• The Trust holds regular CPD events.
• A 24/7 employee assistance programme which provides counselling and support / advice on a wide array of areas.
• Onsite parking free of charge.
What you need to do now:
If you are interested in working in our school, benefitting from a supportive network of teachers across our large academy and our Trust and you are keen to progress your career, then please apply today!
Early applications are encouraged and we reserve the right to close the vacancy if a suitable candidate is found.
Visits to the Academy are encouraged. To arrange a visit to the Academy please contact Sue Wood Executive PA on 02392 812822.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. This post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.