Salary: Leadership Scale L8 (£58,130) plus an enhanced allowance of £600 for all teaching staff
Contract Type: Full time, Permanent following probation
Location: Swiss Cottage, London Borough of Camden, NW3 3AQ
Start Date: 1 September 2021
“The school’s work to promote pupils’ personal development and welfare is outstanding” OFSTED 2016
Are you a creative and enthusiastic individual with great leadership qualities? Would you be interested in working in an academy that offers unique links to UCL and an innovative connected curriculum with autonomy over developing your own lessons? If yes, we encourage you apply for the position of Curriculum Leader of Social Science at the state-of-the-art UCL Academy. Proudly rated Good by Ofsted in all 4 categories in June 2016, The UCL Academy is a mixed 11-19 Academy that opened its doors in the heart of the London Borough of Camden in 2012. We offer iconic state-of-the-art facilities, training and development opportunities and the chance to work with the latest innovations in classroom technology.
Social Science is valued highly at the school, and the post holder will be committed to raising standards at all levels; delivering excellent lessons and enthusing pupils through their passion for subject. The successful candidate will manage and oversee the social science team, whilst bringing enthusiasm, meticulous standards and a commitment to achieving the highest levels of academic success.
Meaningful experience and willingness to teach economics is required for this role as the post holder will be expected to teach this subject. A strong record of success in teaching A level across the ability range is essential, however the experience of teaching GCSE Economics is desirable. Strong knowledge of the changing global economic landscape, especially on topics such as global trade, the impact of the rise of emerging economies, and how governments respond to crises is required.
What we Want
• Great leadership and motivational qualities;
• Very high expectations of students irrespective of their past attainment;
• A strong passion for not just teaching Economics but also exposing students to experiences beyond the classroom;
• High expectations to set and deliver high standards and command credibility through expertise and a desire to regularly update the curriculum to ensure it reflects contemporary events and government policy;
• Innovative Curriculum and pedagogical development within Social Science and the ability to develop an exciting and creative cross-disciplinary teaching and learning in all levels.
About the Department
The Social Science team (Business, Economics, Sociology and Psychology) plan and teach a curriculum that is both inspiring and engaging. Our fast growing department is passionate about making learning relevant for our students and to prepare them for the challenges of the 21st century. In support of this our links with University College London give us unrivalled access to UCL’s Lecturers, UCL’s resources, and UCL undergraduate students who mentor and tutor our students.
We aim to further enrich our students with practical and real-life context activities, including an annual visit to the Houses of Parliament, trips to Berlin and extra-curricular activities including Model UN. We are excited about welcoming ambitious and motivated teachers to join our social science team on our journey.
You can also visit www.uclacademy.co.uk for more information or why not watch our school video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIeTNCsBThc
• State-of-the-art classroom technology – including our unique Superstudios, subject specialism suites and demonstration; theatres for interactive teaching talks by visiting academics;
• Unlimited access to opportunities for self-development and intensive weekly Continuing Professional Learning;
• A whole school wellbeing strategy;
• An exclusive partnership with UCL where staff have access to unrivalled University libraries and resources;
• Suitable IT equipment for all teaching and support staff;
• A generous health care plan, including reimbursement for optical, dental, physiotherapy and a range of other areas, 24/7 GP access, discounted gym membership.
• An Employee Assistance Programme which includes confidential counselling and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.
• Cycle to Work scheme with ample space for bike storage and Season Ticket Loans.
Salary: Leadership Scale L8 (£58,130) plus an enhanced £600 allowance for all teaching staff
How To Apply
To apply please complete and submit a detailed application form, through the link provided. If you have any questions regarding the role you may contact Zaheer Ahmad, Recruitment Coordinator at 0207 449 3080 for further information. Your application is a direct application to The UCL Academy.
Closing Date: 18 January 2021 at 9am
The Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. All appointments will be subject to receipt of satisfactory Enhanced DBS check, pre-employment checks and a probation period.
Please note that if you have not heard from the Academy within 2 weeks after the closing date, please assume you have been unsuccessful.
The UCL Academy, Camden
- Mainstream school with state - academy funding
- Secondary School
- Students of mixed gender, age 11 - 18 years
The UCL Academy is sponsored by UCL, a world-class, multifaculty, research-led university. UCL's vision is an innovative Academy for pupils aged 11 to 18. We are a comprehensive, co-educational, non-denominational, fully inclusive and an active membe...