We have an exciting and rare opportunity for an experienced deputy head teacher to join our new innovative primary school, Liberty Woodland School, opening in September 2019.
This is an outstanding opportunity to make a difference in children's lives and be at the forefront of education in the UK.
‘Our job is not to shape our children’s minds; it’s to let those minds explore all the possibilities that the world allows.’ - Alison Gopnik
Welcome to Liberty Woodland School, the sister school of London’s growing Little Forest Folk nurseries, an exciting and forward thinking organisation offering a new type of education for families in London. At Liberty Woodland School, we care for and educate children aged from 4 to 11, following a core curriculum created by us to focus on skills-based competencies, incorporating learning in an outdoor environment where free play, fresh air, exposure to the natural world and physical activity are an integral part of learning.
Our exceptional team empower children to direct their own learning and facilitate the children’s learning and passions, rather than teaching from a rigid curriculum, encouraging children to develop crucial skills and learn through a project-based, child-led and exploratory approach.
We are looking for an outstanding Deputy Head to join us on our journey to open Liberty Woodland School, to lead the school team, and to provide outstanding and unflappable support to the School Head, Pedagogue Leader and the School Governors.
As the Deputy Head of Liberty Woodland School, you’ll be tasked with overseeing that the school team are providing a high standard of physical, emotional, social and intellectual care for the children aged 4-11 years, in our beautiful outdoor school. In conjunction with the Head of School and the Pedagogue Leader, you will play a lead role in formulating the aims and objectives of the school, and establishing the policies and processes through which they are to be achieved.
You’ll work closely with our team of Senior Learning Associates, Learning Associates, Specialist Associates, and the Pedagogue Leader to create an enabling and positive environment for the children to feel empowered to take responsibility of their own learning.
You’ll use your existing skills, experience and passion for outdoor education to oversee and proactively mentor the team to fulfil our curriculum, allowing the children to learn and develop in a creative and imaginative way.
You will be responsible for ensuring the smooth running of the school, that all staff members are confident in their role and responsibilities, and have a strong commitment to the safeguarding of the children.
- PGCE or QTS required
- Paediatric First Aid desirable
- Food Safety and Hygiene desirable
- Forest School Level 2/3 desirable
- Experience as a Deputy Head Teacher in a primary school setting (preferable) however experience in a secondary school setting will be accepted.
- Experience of working with 4 to 11 year olds in a primary school setting
- Experience within an outdoor education environment is desirable
- Experience of working successfully as a senior leader in a school.
Can demonstrate the ability to:
- Lead and manage a school team to successfully achieve agreed goals.
- Be an effective team player that works collaboratively and effectively with others.
- Develop and deliver effective and inspirational professional development for staff (including mentoring and coaching as appropriate).
- Communicate effectively to a wide range of different audiences.
- Demonstrate high quality learning facilitation.
- Support, motivate and inspire both colleagues and learners by leading through example.
- Contribute effectively to the work of the Head of School and senior leadership team.
- Deal successfully with situations that may include tackling difficult situations and conflict resolution.
- Work successfully with a range of external agencies.
- Commit to safeguarding and child protection
Successful candidates will be required to apply for a DBS check before commencing employment, and all offers are conditional upon the DBS check and other background checks coming back clean.
Hours: 37.5 hours a week, term-time only.
Location: Worcester Park
Start: Term starts September 2019; however we'd like our team to work together for a few weeks in August before opening.
Salary: £41,000 - £45,000 per annum depending on experience
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter explaining why you would like to join our exciting venture email@example.com.
Should you have any questions or would like a copy of the full job description, we'd love to hear from you!
Please also visit our website: www.libertywoodlandschool.com