The Directors of the British School in Colombo (BSC) Sri Lanka, are seeking a new Deputy Head (Pastoral) to join the Senior School, with effect from January 2020 or earlier if possible.
The British School in Colombo is committed to safeguarding children and young people. All post holders in regulated activity are subject to appropriate vetting procedures and a satisfactory “Disclosure and Barring Service Enhanced check”.
The British School in Colombo is a non-smoking school.
The school is a member of FOBISIA.
BSC was founded in 1994 and has a current population of 1400 students of 48 nationalities with 170 academic staff. BSC offers the English National Curriculum, with students entered for Cambridge IGCSE and A Levels.
The school is highly popular with waiting lists for students to join the school in most year groups.
For further information about the School, please see https://britishschool.lk
Deputy Head (Pastoral): RESPONSIBILITIES
The Deputy Head (Pastoral) is responsible for leading student welfare, child protection and safeguarding in the Senior School. The Deputy Head leads a group of experienced and well-qualified Year Leaders and Form Tutors to ensure that all senior school students feel safe at school and able to make excellent academic progress. The Deputy Head reports directly to the Head of Senior School and works closely with the Deputy Head (Academic) to provide the leadership and management needed to ensure the success of the school in fulfilling its mission.
- To safeguard and promote the welfare of our students and staff.
- To accept personal responsibility for supporting the world class vision of the school, making a significant and consistent contribution to our ethos and culture.
- To encourage the personal development of all students and colleagues, maintaining an atmosphere conducive to good working relationships.
- To ensure supervisory duties are in place to ensure the safety of our students.
- To lead and develop highly reliable and effective Heads of Year who track, monitor and support academic and personal progress.
- To develop a tutor programme which develops attitudes, attributes and values reflecting the school’s wider vision for our learners.
- To undertake any professional duties reasonably delegated by the Principal/Deputy Principal Head of Secondary.
- To develop and deliver highly effective CPD.
- To communicate effectively and in a timely fashion will all stakeholders (including, if appropriate other agencies).
Deputy Head (Pastoral) – PERSON SPECIFICATION
BSC is seeking to appoint a leading educationalist with the drive, energy, vision and dedication needed to lead on pupil welfare in this thriving, international school. The successful candidate will have outstanding professional skills and personal qualities, with a record of high performance. They will have had training to be a Designated Safeguarding Officer. We will be seeking accreditation under the British Schools Overseas framework and familiarisation with BSO standards (or similar) would be a distinct advantage.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE APPOINTMENT
The initial contract offered to the successful candidate will be for two years, renewable thereafter by mutual agreement. The attractive compensation package will be commensurate with the responsibilities of the position. And will include:
- Competitive salary (tax free)
- Fully furnished apartment in an excellent condominium, with swimming pool, gym, café, supermarket, laundrette
- Transportation to school
- Return air ticket and annual return air ticket (or cash allowance)
- Medical cover
- End of Contract gratuity
THE APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Suitably qualified candidates should send to the Principal, Dr John Scarth, at Dilhani.Kamalaneson@britishschool.lk the following:
- a letter of application (no more than two pages), briefly outlining why the candidate wishes to apply for this position, with a clear indication of their educational philosophy and approach to school leadership
- a completed BSC Application Form
- a recent and clear head-and-shoulders photograph
Closing date for Applications is Friday 20th September.
Interviews will be held in London and Colombo.