St Mary’s Calne offers an academically enriching working environment within the beautiful Wiltshire countryside, with easy transport links to Bristol, Bath and London
St Mary’s Calne is a member of the Girls’ Schools Association (GSA) and the Headmasters’ and Headmistress’ Conference (HMC); it is a leader in the field of girls’ independent boarding education. It has around 360 girls aged 11-18, including 120+ girls in the Sixth Form. As well as innovative teaching, learning and scholarship, St Mary’s Calne offers outstanding pastoral care and a vibrant, warm community.
St Mary’s Calne believes in excellence in all respects. As a school community, we thrive amidst a culture of strong expectations and the education which we provide nurtures and develops the concept of high performance. The principal aim is to develop well-rounded pupils who are equipped to excel as adults.
Extra-curricular opportunities beyond the classroom are a vital and integral part of life for girls at St Mary’s Calne. These opportunities are woven into the timetable during the day, in the evenings and at weekends. We believe that both boarders and day girls benefit from all aspects of the strong boarding ethos of the school.
St Mary’s Calne is looking for a talented and enthusiastic Deputy Housemistress/master, with outstanding inter-personal skills to join our boarding team. The resident Deputy Housemistress/master provides a good role model for the pupils in their charge. They will be flexible, energetic, possess a good sense of humour, have the ability to be calm, firm and cheerful in dealing with adolescents and will be confident in their ability not only to be an adaptable and supportive member of a team but also to work independently. The Deputy HsM is responsible to the Headmistress, via the Deputy Head Pastoral and their Housemistress, for the smooth running of their House and the performance of their duties.
The primary role of the Deputy HsM is to support the Housemistress at all times in the smooth running of the House. In the absence of the Housemistress (there will be an agreed period of time when the Housemistress is off duty each week), the Deputy will be in operational charge of running the House.
The successful candidate will offer either the ability to teach (any subject considered) or will bring wider experience in other areas of the school.
What we want from you
• An empathetic, enthusiastic and well-presented person, capable of inspiring confidence in pupils, parents and staff.
• Ability to: work flexibly to fulfil the requirements of the post; prioritise; work calmly under pressure and respond positively to changing demands.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with very good written and spoken English.
• Excellent organisational and time management skills; competency in the use of ICT for administration and teaching purposes.
• An understanding of the expectations, ethos and aims of a full boarding school.
• Committed to the safeguarding and wellbeing of children and young people.
• Experience of a similar residential role or pastoral equivalent (desirable).
• The ability to teach (any subject considered).
What we offer
• Excellent and tailored CPD within the department and across the school.
• Highly motivated pupils with lessons taught in small groups.
• Competitive salary and membership of the Teacher Pension Scheme.
• Discounted membership of the St Mary’s Calne Sports Club.
• Fee remission for daughters educated at St Mary’s Calne and for sons and daughters. educated at St Margaret’s Preparatory School.
• Complimentary meals in the Dining Hall during term time.
• Free on-site parking.
How to Apply
Telephone: 01249 857200 (Karen Turner)
Closing date: 9am, Friday 3rd December 2021
St Mary’s Calne is an independent boarding and day school for girls aged 11-18, a happy, purposeful and flourishing community of around 360 pupils with a 80% to 20% boarding to day ratio.
Founded in 1873, the school has been providing an outsta...