The Digital Editor will be responsible for overseeing and developing THE’s digital content across a broad range of platforms, including the website, app, social media and newsletters.
Particular responsibilities include:
· Maximising the impact of our content online, being the driving force for improving our digital proposition and developing a coherent strategy across all platofrms
· Commissioning and editing blogs, both from contributors across global higher education and from THE’s own team of journalists and editors
· Strategic oversight of THE’s student site (including line-managing THE’s Student Editor)
· Developing and implementing a newsletter strategy, delivering against key objectives and driving engagement with THE from a range of audiences
· Providing strategic input on editorial’s use of social media
This is a job with a broad remit and will require someone with considerable ability to manage multiple projects, to createand implement a coherent strategy, and to work across THE’s editorial team to get the most out of our content and engage and grow our global audience.
· Overseeing THE’s website from an editorial persepctive, working closely with news, features, opinions and subs desks, as well as colleagues in the product and development team, to ensure it delivers for readers across all our target markets.
· Ensuring that all THE content is treated and presented in the best posisble way on digital platforms, implementing new approaches to digital formats where appropriate.
· Commissioning and editing blogs to THE’s high editorial standards on a host of topics relating to international higher education. Our aim is for THE to be the liveliest forum for comment, analysis and debate on higher education globally.
· Overseeing and developing THE’s student content online, line-managing the student editor and growing our student audience and levels of engagement.
Developing and implementing a newsletter strategy to grow our global HE audience, drive registrations/subscriptions, and deliver against commercial and editorial priorities.
Providing strategic oversight for THE’s high-profile presence across social media. Ensuring THE remains an influential presence across all appropriate platforms, and that our content is presented for maximum impact.
· Developing a deep understanding of the issues covered by THE, developing contacts and spending time at higher education events to maintain a profile and level of expertise that is expected of a senior THE journalist.
· Representing THE, including at THE events overseas, as and when required.
· A talented journalist with a track record of delivering editorial to exacting standards, tight deadlines, and with enthusiasm and an ability to develop new approaches
· Ideally holding a postgraduate journalism qualification such as NCTJ (or equivalent)
· Responsive, adaptable and creative – comfortable with changing business needs
· Highly organised, and able to handle multiple concurrent projects with regular deadlines
· Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate across all levels of seniority
Skills/Attributes and Experience
· Strong expertise in digital publishing is essential, ideally including multimedia, with a track record of growing audience, engagement and influence.
· Track record of using social media in an editorial context, including tracking new developments and devising and implementing strategic approaches to social.
· Experience developing and running editorial newsletters to deliver against key objectives would be highly beneficial in this role
· Experience as a commissioning editor, with evidence of leadership and decision-making, would be beneficial. Ideas and creativity absolutely essential.
· An ability to juggle multiple projects, prioritising and delivering concurrently
· Knowledge of the higher education sector would be ideal, but is not essential
· Experience with data-led journalism, and ability to work in excel would also be beneficial, as would commercial awareness.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a publication that is evolving into a truly international player in one of the most interesting and rapidly developing sectors in the world.