Harris Academy Purley is an oversubscribed 11-19 co-educational academy with 1050 students currently on roll, situated on the Croydon/Surrey border. Open since September 2009, we are judged Outstanding by Ofsted, and moved into a state-of-the-art new building in September 2012.
We are a happy, hard-working and highly ambitious community in which students and staff treat one another with care and respect, combining traditional values of discipline and good manners with contemporary best practice in teaching and technology. The academy’s leadership team and staff share an expectation that each and every student who joins Harris Academy Purley achieves his or her “personal best”. With an emphasis on Enterprise, the academy strives each and every day to create a culture and ethos which promotes curiosity, initiative and leadership in all our young people.
We are seeking an exceptional, experienced and enthusiastic middle leader for our Director of Learning (English) position.
What we are looking for:
The successful candidate will take responsibility for a strong and successful English Department, providing vision, leadership and direction and be a member of the academy’s middle leadership team. We are looking for someone who will:
- Raise standards of student attainment and achievement within the curriculum area and monitor and support student progress.
- Be accountable for student progress and development within the subject area.
- Develop and enhance the teaching practice of others.
- Ensure the provision of an appropriately broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum for students.
- Be accountable for leading, managing and developing the subject area.
- Effectively manage and deploy teaching/support staff, financial and physical resources within the subject area.
This is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious professional to join our team of committed staff who ‘share a common sense of purpose and high expectations of what students can achieve‘ (Ofsted). Exceptional Professional Development opportunities, whatever your level of development and ambitions, exist within the Academy itself and as part of the very successful Harris Federation.
Why work at Harris Academy Purley?
- “This is an outstanding academy. High quality teaching promotes learning and enjoyment for all students.” – Ofsted
- The opportunity to be part of an oversubscribed, 'Outstanding'-rated academy
- A superb, modern working environment with state-of-the-art facilities
- A happy, hard-working and highly ambitious community in which students and staff treat one another with care and respect
- Generous Harris benefits and rewards package
Harris Academy Purley is part of the Harris Federation, a network of 41 academies, which offers exceptional opportunities for personal and professional development and promotion.
For more information or to arrange a visit, please contact the academy on 020 8681 1141.
Harris Academies are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check. In line with our commitments to safeguarding, the Harris Federation uses preferred agencies and is unable to work with any agencies where Terms of Business have not been agreed by both parties prior to an engagement.