Director of Sport
Start: September 2021
Leadership Scale: L6 - L10 (£47,735 - £52,723)
Closing date: 19th April, Midday
You should apply if:
- You are already an outstanding teacher of PE and have experience teaching Post-16 vocational courses.
- You have very high standards and can demonstrate excellent outcomes for students in your career to date.
- You can lead others.
- You are committed to the notion that literacy is all and everything in education.
Reasons why you might want to join us:
Our new school opened in March 2020 and the brand new department facilities will be yours to manage and oversee. The sports facilities are world class and include:
- A brand new sports hall.
- Extensive playing fields.
- Shared use of a full-size floodlit 4G pitch with every conceivable accessory, pictured here from our fabulous brand new school building.
- Shared tennis courts, on site.
- You will have a team of committed colleagues to lead, including a highly experienced and outstanding Subject Team Leader for PE.
- LBS has achieved a third successive year of outstanding results as we await our first Ofsted Inspection as a CAT school. We believe we are an OUTSTANDING school. Our 2021 outcomes will likely see both English and Maths achieving over 90% passes.
- The school is expanding rapidly. We have received over 263 positive preferences for Year 7 in September 2021 against our PAN of 120.
- Lead the delivery of our Elite Sports Academy…we have a Director of Cricket and a Director of Football. We aim to have 3 elite teams in both sports, competing at a high level and winning regional competitions. The ESA is an after-school, talent-based initiative and you will be the Academy Director. We would be keen to hear how you might advance this exciting project, which has been on hold during the lockdown. It is ready to go.
- Support the Head of Department in the establishment of our re-launched Post-16 provision, which will be a single subject 6th Form…Sport. This will start in September 2021 pending permissions and external arrangements.
- There is potential for this role to gain profile and status and become an Assistant Principal post within 3 years. That, of course, depends on performance.
- Support the establishment of a school colours programme.
- Deliver PE teaching. You will teach a 50% timetable.
- Develop links with external sports agencies and professional sports clubs. Experience of this process would be valuable.
- Support the initial phases of hiring our sports facilities. We have incredible facilities and we are looking to develop an income stream from them and your knowledge of this process would be a great advantage.
- Work closely with the Director of Education and the school Leadership Team to develop a Sports Ethos for the whole school community and, as we expand as a Trust, with other schools.
- Work closely with the school Transition strategy to support the quality of engagement with primary school, building lasting, sustainable links with primary partners and, if possible, a programme of on-going student activities at LBS.
- Be an associate member of the Leadership Team.
To apply, simply click the button or, if you need further information, interested candidates should contact the school and arrange a Zoom meeting with Michael Rennie, Director of Education. In the current restrictive climate, visits to the school are not advisable although if we interview applicants formally, this will be a school-based process. We see no problem in you coming to have a look around the external facilities and, of course, things may change.
Lordswood Boys’ School is part of the Central Academies Trust (CAT). CAT is a recently formed educational Trust with members and directors drawn from the highest achieving and highest profile schools in Coventry and Birmingham. Led by our Chief Executive Dr. David Kershaw MBE, the Trust incorporates members and directors from industry and higher education amongst other fields. Committed to raising achievement in challenging schools and to securing the highest of high equity, we will work relentlessly to change young lives in the Midlands. Any professional that joins in with our mission will have opportunities to work across our schools in the coming years as we seek to develop and promote our own staff into outstanding school improvement experts or leaders of curriculum innovation and world class standards in education. We do not lack ambition.
See what the media say about us:
Lordswood Boy’s School is among the most improved schools in England.
Lordswood Boys’ School is already one of Birmingham’s great educational success stories and we invite you to join us in our fabulous new, state-of-the-art building with our wonderful, engaging and highly intelligent and articulate young men.
For information and application forms:
T: 01214 642837
Candidates will be required to submit the names of two referees, one of which must be your most recent employer.
Apply today and join our amazing success story.
Lordswood Boys' School
- Mainstream school with state - academy funding
- Secondary School
- Boys school with students of age 11 - 16 years