The British International School of New York (BIS-NY) is a dynamic and nurturing community educating children in a stunning Waterside campus in Manhattan. We are proud to welcome families from around forty countries to our school, which delivers a distinct and innovative curriculum, combining the International Baccalaureate and English National Curriculum. Alongside this rigorous and engaging curriculum, the school is also committed to providing a broad and inspiring wider programme in Sport, the Creative and Performing Arts and community service. The warmth of relations across the school and close, constructive co-operation with families are other essential elements in what makes the school such a great place to work and learn. 2016 was the tenth anniversary of BIS-NY and these posts arise because of the continued growth and development of the school. The school is launching a new Upper School programme from September 2018 offering Cambridge International IGCSE and A Level courses.
The Divisional Heads play a key role in the operational leadership and development of the school, reporting to the Deputy Head and working closely with other key staff on the Educational Leadership Team of the school. Each Divisional Head has overall responsibility for the academic progress and pastoral well-being of each student in his/her division. The posts are suitable for candidates with the experience, drive and enthusiasm to contribute to whole school development. The Divisional Head positions have a weekly lesson allowance of 8-10 lessons below a full time allocation in the school. Candidates with expertise in any subject offered at the school are welcome to apply.
- Responsible for all aspects of the progress and wellbeing of students within their division
- Provide guidance and support on IGCSE and A Level choices
- Provide guidance and support on university applications
- Schedule internal and mock exams
- Assist students with the transition to Year 10
- Co-ordinate and lead divisional assemblies and staff development sessions
- Work with the Headmaster’s office to ensure effective communication with parents about Divisional Programme
- Review and oversee the delivery of student reports in Division including Divisional Head comments
- Arrange supply cover for teaching staff and duties
- Liaise with the Headmaster and other staff on wider curricular and co-curricular offerings for the Division including clubs
- Responsible for PSHE programme within the Division
- Deal with behavioural, social and uniform matters for students in Division
- After school cover rota
- Assist Headmaster with annual cycle of staff appraisal
- Contribute to whole school strategic and development planning
- Cover for Headmaster in his absence from school
- Assist in the recruitment and retention of students
- Liaison with other Divisional Heads to ensure continuity between phases
- Assist the Headmaster in other ways he deems reasonable for the smooth running and successful development of the school
- Excellent communication skills
- Have the ability to manage a diverse and demanding workload
- Work within a team
- Well organised with good time management skills
- Good ICT skills and a willingness to learn
- Knowledge of IB, international education and/or English National Curriculum
- Willingness to learn
- Genuine passion for learning
- Ability to enthuse and inspire pupils
- Confidence to lead a team of colleagues and to contribute to school leadership
- Tact and skill to build positive and productive relations with parents and external bodies
Why work at BIS-NY?
Combined with the traditional skills of the English National Curriculum, BIS-NY ‘s unique curriculum inspires and challenges our pupils to develop a love of learning and develop as balanced individuals, academically successful and willing to take risks to face the challenges of our ever changing world in the 21st century.
Our pupils and teachers come from all walks of life, but the enthusiasm they share for learning and teaching brings them into a unique sense of community that celebrates and thrives on diversity.
A strong commitment to collaboration and being part of a team is essential for those interested in applying to be part of our school community.
- Salary – commensurate with experience and role
- Comprehensive benefits package – medical, dental, vision, FSA, 401 (k)
- Relocation allowance available for overseas and out of state hires
- Lunch is provided free of charge in the school dining hall
- Teachers are required to attend In-Service/Inset and Staff Meetings
- Subject to fingerprinting and background check
- The post becomes available from September 2018
The British International School of New York is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service. All appointments are also subject to the receipt of satisfactory references.
Applications must be filled out online by 21st February.