Sha Tin College Website: http://www.shatincollege.edu.hk
Sha Tin College, an 11-18 international school with 1,200 students, is seeking to appoint a suitably qualified and experienced EAL Access Coordinator - TLR 4 to start in August 2021.
Sha Tin College is seeking to appoint an EAL Access Coordinator to manage the education and provision for students who are not native English speakers and/or need additional support in English, in addition to students who have special educational needs.
Suitable candidates should hold a qualification in the field of EAL, have experience supporting students with language needs, and have worked in a secondary school.
In partnership and in consultation with the Head of Faculty, the EAL Access Coordinator will focus on providing learning access to the MYP, GCSE/IGCSE, and IBDP/CP curriculum. This role also incorporates developing differentiated curriculum, co-teaching English classes, and leading provision for GCSE and IBDP support. The EAL Access Coordinator will focus on the areas below.
TEACHING, LEARNING & CURRICULUM
- Develop curriculum for and teach academic support classes at GCSE and IBDP/CP level.
- Support students in mainstream classes through intervention, consultation with teachers, and co-teaching.
- Work collaboratively with the other members of the Learning Support Department and English Department to facilitate support for all students.
- Work with mainstream staff on curriculum development and ways to meet the needs of EAL learners.
- Lead professional learning opportunities to develop school-wide practices in addressing the needs of EAL students across the school.
- Support transition phases by liaising with stakeholders including parents, colleagues, and primary school counterparts.
- Lead parent information sessions and work with library colleagues to enhance resources for EAL students.
- Network and collaborate with colleagues outside of STC to support the implementation and continual development of best practice.
- Communicate effectively and efficiently with the entire school community about access, differentiation, and support of students with language learning needs.
LEADING THE FACULTY TEAM
- Provide support and guidance for colleagues in their interactions with students, parents, and staff.
- Collaborate with the Head of Faculty to manage support provision for EAL students.
- Liaise and collaborate with Heads & Deputy Heads of Faculty, Heads of Department and Heads of Year, as appropriate
- Coordinate with ESF colleagues to ensure provision is in alignment with Foundation direction and best practice.
- Work with the Admissions Team to assess English proficiency, identify students with language challenges and provide relevant advice to parents about students who are unsuccessful.
MANAGEMENT & ADMINISTRATION
- Maintain open communication with parents regarding student progress.
- Maintain online registers and records.
- Liaise with Head of Faculty, Learning Access Coordinator, and Examinations Officer and IBDP/CP Coordinators to complete exam access arrangements applications and administer access arrangements during examinations.
- Ensure that the learning environment and display areas in the Faculty are well maintained.
The successful applicant is expected to have the following skills, abilities, knowledge and experience.
Personal Skills and Abilities
- Excellent negotiation, collaboration and problem-solving skills with a solution-focused attitude.
- Commitment to supporting and developing a holistic approach to student development and well-being.
- Excellent organizational skills and timely follow-up
Knowledge and Experience
- University level qualification in teaching students with English Language needs.
- A sound practical knowledge of curriculum development.
- Solid ICT skills.
Please contact Lorna Gomes at email@example.com should you require further information about the post.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and offers may be extended prior to the job closing date.
By applying for this position, your application may be considered for other opportunities within ESF.
ESF is an Equal Opportunities Employer
Personal data provided by job applicants will be used strictly in accordance with the ESF's Personal Data Policy, a copy of which will be provided upon request.
Aligned with the recommendations of the International Task Force on Child Protection, we hold ourselves to a high standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection.
The English Schools Foundation (ESF) is the largest English-medium international school organisation in Hong Kong. Our 22 schools and comprehensive programme of extra-curricular activities bring out the best in every student through a personalised approach to learning and by inspiring curious minds.
There are over 18,000 students from 75 different nationalities in ESF kindergartens, primary, secondary and all-through schools. About 70% of our students have parents who are permanent residents of Hong Kong.
ESF is proud of the high academic and wider achievements of our students. In 2020, 22 ESF students achieved the perfect score of 45 points in the IB Diploma examinations; more than 95% go on to leading universities worldwide.
About the Team
ESF Sha Tin College is committed to providing the best possible teaching and learning experiences for every individual through the medium of English. The education provided leads to a variety of internationally recognised examinations, granting students access to higher education and career opportunities worldwide.
Unique to Sha Tin College is a culture where we take responsibility for fulfilling our own potential and that of others for the good of humanity at all levels. Ample opportunities exist to challenge students to become mature, open-minded, caring, responsible and committed individuals with a passion for learning, creativity, sports and a sense of compassion.
With commanding views over the Sha Tin countryside, the College boasts a swimming pool and multi- purpose sports hall, music rooms, drama studios, design and technology workshops, science labs and a food technology centre, Senior School Centre, climbing walls, and a Counselling and Well-being Centre.
Sha Tin College - ESF
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- Secondary with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 11 - 18 years
Sha Tin College is one of the leading IBO World Schools in Asia with a student population of 1200, comprising over 30 different nationalities. It is an independent, coeducational, secondary school within the English Schools Foundation - the largest i...