Reporting to the Creative Director, TES & THE, the Designer will produce layouts and designs to enhance the readability and attractiveness of the content of TES, TESS and THE magazines and any supplements.
· To create, design and layout pages for the various publications that comply with the overall design guidelines.
· To ensure quality pictures have been sourced for pages that are engaging, original and of strong composition. Either via commissioning or researching, the designer is responsible for the images for the pages he/she is laying out.
· To ensure images accurately visualise the content of the article; including providing briefs for the illustrators/photographers that interpret the article and give a strong sense of the editorial angle.
· To create layout that is attention grabbing and encourages the reader to immediately grasp the sense of the article and want to read on.
· To enliven the copy with such devices as quotes, boxes and entry points when required.
· To design with awareness of where the page to be laid out falls within the publication, especially if the page is part of an editorial spread.
· Work with sub editors to ensure that there are no delays in the production process.
· Assist sub editors working on the layout of news pages when required.
· Use Photoshop and other programs to produce images to illustrate TES articles and supplements.
· To generate highly creative, unique and vibrant ideas that reflect the needs and wants of the reader. Ensuring original design, creating aesthetic appeal and of innovative nature.
· To adhere to deadlines.
· To provide cover across the department as required.
· To be flexible to the demands of the products.
· To develop and maintain excellent working relationships with other departments within TES Global.
· Conversant with various software packages including Illustrator, Photoshop and other programmes used in page layout, cover design and to handle photographic images.
· Enthusiastic person, who wants a challenge and knows what skills they still need to acquire.
· Communicates well with colleagues.
· Ability to visualise difficult concepts
· Highly creative and original design skills.
· Must demonstrate ability to interpret Editorial content.
· Willingness to take risks with original designs and images.
· Eager to learn new methods and to improve skills.
· The ability to take responsibility for actions and lack of actions and to work unchecked.
· Self-starter, high degree of personal motivation.
· Ability to work fast and creatively.
· Diploma or degree in design or art related subject
· Two years as a designer with a B2B title, national or regional newspaper or consumer magazine.
· Experience on a weekly.