The Virtual School team is a small but effective team working within Children’s Social Care. We support the education of children in Bexley’s care who attend over 100 schools both within Bexley and beyond.
We are seeking an enthusiastic and experienced qualified teacher and education advisor who is knowledgeable and experienced with working with children and teenagers with special educational needs. In particular, you will have experience of working with children who have experienced care, and will have an excellent understanding of the statutory framework for supporting looked-after and previously looked-after children in education in order to provide advice and guidance to schools, social workers, parents, carers and guardians.
You will be knowledgeable about each education phase and methods of assessment, including those processes specific to supporting children with special educational needs.
The Education Advisor will:
- Provide phone advice and guidance, attend meetings in school and provide training and support to other professionals
- Implement the Personal Education Plan process for looked-after children and will work with schools to develop these to a high standard
- Provide advice and guidance about support strategies and differentiation for pupils with special needs, and support for schools with applying for Statutory Assessment
- Provide wider support to the Virtual School team around case work and detailed planning for looked-after and previously looked-after children with special educational needs
The post is available for an immediate start subject to checks; appointment to this post will be subject to the outcome of an Enhanced Disclosure obtained through the Disclosure and Barring Service
What we offer:
- Career Average Revalued Earnings Pension Scheme
- Performance Related Pay
- Up to 23 days paid Annual Leave built into term time only contract (rising to 27 after 5 years’ service) plus Bank Holiday Entitlement (pro-rata).
- Annual Leave Purchase Scheme
- An excellent working environment at our fantastic new offices
- Opportunities for flexible working with excellent ICT facilities
- MyChoice Staff Benefit Scheme – Includes Childcare Vouchers, Cycle to Work Scheme, access to high street shopping vouchers and online discount codes.
Bexley is an outer London Borough with the best of both worlds, located between the hustle and bustle of London and the Garden of England, Kent. Within the borough we have award winning parks, open spaces and listed heritage sites.
- Closing Date for your application: Monday 12th November 2018
- Please visit our website to find out more and apply. CVs will not be accepted unless they are submitted with a completed application form.
- Anticipated Interview date: Monday 19th November 2018
This authority is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
This post is considered by the authority to be a customer-facing position; as such it falls within scope of the Code of Practice on English language requirement for public sector workers. The council therefore has a statutory duty under Part 7 of the Immigration Act 2016 to ensure that post holders have a command of spoken English sufficient for the effective performance of the job requirements. The appropriate standards are set out in the JD/Person Specification. These will be applied during the recruitment/selection and probationary stages.
Follow us on Twitter @LBofBexley and @BexleyCareers