37 hours per week (term time only plus 5 days)
Kettlethorpe High School is a large and popular maintained school in Wakefield, near to the M1 and with excellent links to Sheffield, Leeds and Kirklees. We continue to flourish and are the school of choice within the local area. We are often oversubscribed and are currently planning for a larger cohort entry that will see new capital building work and a potential 11-16 roll of 1,800 pupils.
We consider ourselves a second home to our pupils and work hard to provide a safe, welcoming atmosphere in which to learn and grow. We are now seeking an experienced Education Welfare Officer who will share in this commitment by supporting and safeguarding the wellbeing of our pupils and promoting high standards of attendance and punctuality through effective liaison with parents and carers.
Joining us in this key role, you will:
- meet with parents regularly to establish any barriers to a regular full-time education and work to develop strategies to ensure a positive outcome and improved attendance;
- support pupils and families presenting welfare and social care concerns but also robustly challenge parents who condone their children’s absences from school and regularly monitor success of intervention;
- take supportive/remedial action with respect to individual absentees to secure their regular attendance;
- ensure compliance with all legislative requirements and undertake all recognised statutory education welfare service responsibilities;
- contribute proactively to relevant areas of school policy and planning, including the development of a whole-school attendance policy, liaising with governors as appropriate.
To be successful, you will have:
- experience of working within an education-based setting;
- experience working with vulnerable families and young people to ensure the voice of the child is heard;
- excellent communication and organisational skills;
- a flexible and adaptable approach to your work.
Salary: Grade 7, £21,496.94 - £22,945.44 (unqualified); Grade 8, £23,715.20 - £25,926.52 (qualified)
For further information and an application form, please visit our website via the Apply link.
Closing date: 20th September 2019.
The successful applicant will be required to provide criminal conviction information and complete a Disclosure Application Form.