We are looking to appoint a learning support teacher to provide literacy, numeracy, fine motor and social skills to support to our pupils.
● To plan, prepare and deliver effective intervention programs that meet the individual needs of our pupils and enable them to make progress.
● To diligently record, monitor and feedback on pupil progress to class teachers, Head of Learning Support and parents.
● To provide in class support for pupils and teachers as required.
● Contribute to writing and reviewing pupil IEPs.
● To screen, together with other members of Student Support, pupils for specific learning difficulties.
● To plan, prepare and deliver training workshops, together with Head of Student Support, for parents and colleagues.
● To liaise with parents, teachers and other education professionals and specialists as appropriate to discuss pupils’ needs and progress.
● To participate in continual professional development opportunities and maintain a good knowledge of current educational research.
Teaching and Learning:
● To create and manage a caring, supportive, purposeful and stimulating environment which is conducive to pupils’ learning.
● To plan, prepare and deliver engaging and effective lessons and activities that motivate, inspire and improve pupil achievement.
● To identify clear teaching objectives and learning outcomes, with appropriate challenge and high expectations.
● To maintain a regular system of monitoring, assessment, record-keeping and reporting of children’s progress.
● To evaluate teaching practise and the efficacy of intervention programs and lesson activities to improve teaching and learning.
● To organise and manage groups or individual pupils, whilst promoting high standards of behaviour and discipline among pupils.
● To enable pupils to develop a positive attitude to learning.
● To plan opportunities to develop the social, emotional and cultural aspects of pupils’ learning.
● Contribute to the development and co-ordination of the Learning Support Department.
● Ensure that school policy and guidelines such as those for planning, marking, workbook presentation and assessment and recording are followed as a model of leading by example.
● Help create a strong school community, characterised by consistent, orderly behaviour and caring, respectful relationships.
● Help develop a culture and ethos that is committed to engagement, innovation and achievement.
● To participate actively in staff meetings, after school activities, whole school events and to share in supervisory duties.
● Be aware of and comply with policies and procedures relating to safeguarding children, health and safety and security, confidentiality and data protection; reporting all concerns to the designated person or member of leadership team
● Support initiatives decided by the Principal and Leadership Team
This job description is not a comprehensive definition of the post. Discussions will take place on a regular basis to clarify individual responsibilities within the general framework and character of the post.
Person Specification: Learning Support Teacher
● Qualified to degree level and above
● Hold recognised specialist qualifications in teaching pupils with learning needs or be in the process of completing these
● Display a high level of confidentiality in the keeping of documents, lesson observation findings and professional decisions private at all times
Desirable Knowledge, Skills & Experience
● Outstanding classroom practitioner with a strong knowledge of child development.
● Knowledge and understanding of dyslexia, specific learning difficulties and a range of special educational needs.
● Knowledge of current educational thinking, initiatives and issues.
● Knowledge of screening tools and intervention programs available to identify and support the learning needs of our pupils.
● Experience of raising attainment of pupils with dyslexia/SpLD
● Digitally literate; understands and incorporates the use of digital tool in the classroom.
● Commitment to regular and on-going professional development to establish outstanding classroom practice
● Effective team member and leader
● Demonstrates resilience, motivation and commitment to driving standards
● Acts as a role model to staff
● High expectations for accountability and consistency
● Genuine passion and belief in the potential of every pupil
● Motivation to continually improve standards and achieve excellence
● Commitment to the safeguarding and welfare of pupils