The Elementary Teacher teacher must;
· Ensure adequate planning and preparation of teaching materials against syllabus specifications and key stage requirements.
· Ensure that there is effective use of baseline data to facilitate quality ‘target setting’ to enable students to maximise potential and to assist in measuring value added
· Ensure that planning documentation is accurately reflected in the delivery of the curriculum
· Identify learning objectives and criteria for success
· Involve students in action planning, setting achievable targets, and in assessing and evaluating their own achievements and progress
· Ensure effective differentiation and the use of a range of teaching resources and strategies. These should ensure that all students are sufficiently challenged. (Learning Support is available to assist in these areas).
· Ensure sufficient quantity of work in class and homework in line with the school homework policy
· Mark and assess students work against specified criteria and in line with the whole school policy
· Have the content knowledge and pedagogical practice to meet the diverse needs of all students
· Provide expert advice about the content, processes and strategies that will shape individual and school professional learning.
The classroom teacher is expected to actively improve his/ her own skills and expertise and should also;
· Negotiate additional responsibilities with the subject Leader and share ideas with colleagues regarding good practice and teaching methods
· Contribute to the extra-curricular activities programme as required
· Provide appropriate feedback on work
· Update all necessary records accurately and completely as required by laws, district policies and school regulations
· Prepare required reports on students and activities
· Establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities
· Observe and evaluate student’s performance and development
· Assign and grade class work, homework, tests and assignments
· Demonstrate preparation and skill in working with students from diverse cultural, economic and ability backgrounds.
· Participate in appropriate professional activities.
· Assist staff to use student data to inform teaching approaches that enable targets related to improving student learning outcomes to be achieved
· Leading the development of curriculum policies and programs
· Co-ordinating the development and implementation of curriculum in small schools
· Managing a year level or learning area
· Developing and managing the school transition program as it relates to Pre-School to Year Prep and /or transition and facilitating the associated orientation programs
· Assisting the Principal, transition and leading teachers with the performance of specific functions appropriate to the classification and role
· Plan and implement a range of teaching programs or courses of study
· Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated
· Shows commitment to the schools mission, academic program and student academic outcomes as outlined in the approved charter.
· Establishes and maintains standards of appropriate student behaviour and discipline to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom and assist in its maintenance campus wide
· Provides and maintains a safe and supervised environment in the classroom and on the school grounds
· Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of students
· Prescribes effective learning programs and initiates referrals to appropriate personnel when concerns arise
· Assesses the accomplishments of students on a regular Basis and provides progress reports as required on time