Teacher of English
Reports to: Head of English
Wellington College is committed to providing world-class educational opportunities in the city of Tianjin. We seek to recruit and develop staff members who are fully engaged with the stated vision of the school – [to] “aspire to create a caring, international community that develops well-rounded individuals with strong values and the skills to thrive within an ever-changing global society” and who are guided in their professional and personal conduct by the core Wellington values – courage, respect, integrity, kindness and responsibility. In this way, the post holder should regard the following outline of the job description not as a checklist of things to achieve, but as a starting point for their growth in the role.
1 General Role Description:
A well-qualified teacher of English, with at least two years’ experience of teaching at Senior / High School level (UK Key Stages 3-5 or equivalent).
▪ To teach English Language and Literature within the English department.
▪ To work with the Head of English and other staff on the development of schemes of work, helping to build opportunities for:
- Ensuring progression
- Active learning
- Assessment for learning
- Meeting the needs of all learners
- Enrichment and external links
▪ To maintain up-to-date records of student progress across all aspects of performance
▪ To ensure that your students make good or outstanding progress in English
▪ To deal effectively with behaviour, attendance and punctuality issues
▪ To carry out the regular assessment and marking of students' work, according to the departmental and whole school assessment and marking policy
▪ To keep records of student attainment and progress
▪ To monitor student achievement against school and national data at individual student and teaching group level, and to take action to improve achievement and combat identified under achievement
▪ To carry out assessment and feedback
Guidance & Welfare:
Where appropriate, act as a form tutor, fulfilling the following functions:
▪ To take overall responsibility for monitoring tutees’ academic and wider progress and development, acting in line with school policies in this area;
▪ To review progress and support students in target setting and action planning;
▪ To ensure that all students are valued and treated according to the aims of the school.
2 Knowledge, Experience and Profile
Required Qualifications / Skills:
▪ A relevant degree (BA) and professional teaching qualification is essential
▪ A passion for English and the ability to share this with as wide a range of students as possible
▪ Excellent subject knowledge and an interest in current developments in English
▪ Fluency in written and spoken English to enable effective communication with students and in working relationships
▪ Knowledge of A-level/GCSE/IGCSE curricula, their delivery and assessment is desirable
▪ The desire to put the wellbeing each student at the heart of what they do and can demonstrate how they will support the development of the school’s eight aptitudes.
▪ Excellent inter-personal skills
▪ Honesty, integrity, compassion, flexibility and a good sense of humour
▪ Strong organizational, self-management and problem-solving skills
Desirable Qualifications / Skills:
▪ Experience teaching A-level (or equivalent) in your subject specialism
▪ Experience teaching the Cambridge International Examinations IGCSE English
▪ Experience using ICT (or a VLE) to enrich students learning
▪ Experience teaching and mentoring EAL students
“Aligned with the recommendations of the International Task Force on Child Protection, we hold ourselves to a high standard of effective recruiting practices with specific attention to child protection.”
ITFCP Statement of Commitment
Please note this position is subject to an enhanced Criminal Records Bureau Disclosure. Wellington College International Tianjin is committed to equality and diversity. The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment
You must meet the following requirements for a visa or working permit:
- 2 years teaching experience.
- A degree related to subject taught.
- B. Ed, Bachelors with Teaching Qualification, iPGCE, UK Qualified Teacher Status or similar teaching qualification.
- Proficient in English.
- Should hold a valid passport from either Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom or United States.
- References, Medical check, Criminal background check
- Over 25 and below 60 years of age
Wellington College International Tianjin
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 2 - 18 years
Wellington College is committed to providing world-class educational opportunities in the city of Tianjin. We seek to recruit and develop staff members who are fully engaged with the stated vision of the school – [to] “aspire to create a caring, inte...