Extended Hours Manager
Responsible to: Head Teacher & School Business Manager
Purpose of the Job
To promote and manage After School Care (ASC) and Breakfast Club at Waverley Preparatory School and the Waverley Holiday Club. The post holder must be well motivated, able to work on their own initiative and inspire the wider team, communicate effectively with parents, staff and children and, above all, be able to multi-task and cope well with interruptions and differing demands.
After School Care is a popular and growing facility offered to all pupils at Waverley Prep School. Although it begins at the end of the formal school day it is seen as a further enhancement of the educational provision and requires close liaison with the academic team. It begins at 3.30pm and ends at 6.00pm.
Breakfast Club runs from 07:30am – 08:30am Monday to Friday.
Holiday Club runs throughout each school holiday period, apart from between Christmas and New Year.
Hours of Work
07:30am - 08:30am and 2:30pm - 6:30pm during term time ( 25hrs per week )
07:30am – 6:00pm during holidays (on a rota basis) – ( 40hrs per week for 13 weeks )
Please note: Hours may be reviewed to take account of changing opening times, so flexibility is necessary.
- Ensuring that during extended hours the programme of activities delivered is interesting, valuable and appropriate to the children using the facilities by providing a variety of play and learning opportunities and identifying and accommodating changing needs.
- Ensuring the safety and well-being of all users through checking equipment, undertaking first line child protection measures and organising activities appropriate to the users at any given time.
- Ensuring that parents and other visitors are made to feel welcome when visiting and that they receive appropriate information and advice in a timely manner.
- Maximising the learning value of the activities by planning and evaluating activities.
- Contributing to the accountability of Waverley Prep School through assisting in the maintenance of agreed records including registers and accident books.
- Must be confident in the use of IT programs, including using the school���s management information system.
- Be prepared to undergo Designated Safeguarding Lead Training.
The main duties and responsibilities of the post holder are indicated below, other duties of an appropriate nature and level will also be required.
- Plan, organise and create a full programme of activities, including visits, for each Holiday Club period. Produce a timetable of events for publication and promotion.
- Liaise with the Business Manager over the production of promotional literature for Holiday Club.
- Actively promote Holiday Club to external pupils. All external children who attend Waverley Holiday Club are potential pupils.
- Monitor other activity providers in the area to ensure Waverley Holiday Club is meeting the needs of parents in the areas of activities, pricing and service.
- Work closely with Deputy Extended Hours Leader in all areas.
- Have a good understanding of statutory regulations and requirements relating to the management of Extended Hours facilities.
- Manage the Extended Hours budgets and order resources, equipment and other items as required.
- Organise a variety of age appropriate play opportunities for children.
- Lead groups of children in specific sport, game craft and learning activities. Manage behaviours and adapt the activity to meet the needs of groups or individuals. Prepare for activities where necessary.
- Evaluate events and activities and contribute to the development of Extended Hours including making recommendations for change and development of the activities.
- Liaise with external activity providers both current and prospective companies.
- Supervise children to ensure safe use of equipment and facility without endangering themselves or other users.
- Check that play conditions conform to the appropriate health and safety standards and are suitable for the group and activity planned. Check that the premises, fences, gates, etc are secure, reporting defects promptly.
- Support and advise less experienced workers in activities.
- Under the direction of the Business Manager, support the operation of Holiday Clubs, including enrolment and operation.
- The post holder must be physically fit and alert to supervise and take responsibility for groups of children and young people.
- Be aware of regulations concerning management of Extended Hours.
- Maintain and produce lists and registers for Extended Hours as required.
- Undertake relevant First Aid Training.
- As time and the duties above permit, to undertake such other duties as agreed from time to time with the Head Teacher and School Business Manager.
Waverley Preparatory School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post inducing checks with past employers and Disclosure and Barring Service.