Post Title: EYFS & KS1 phase lead with English whole school responsibility
Member of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT)
Teaching and learning responsibility (TLR) Level: TLR 2a
Hours: Full time
Salary: MPS / UPS + TLR 2a
Start Date: September 2021
“Together through an exciting curriculum we empower pupils to become
confident and resilient learners who reach their full potential.
Respect. Responsibility. Pride.”
Rawmarsh Thorogate J&I School is a one form entry primary school situated in a pleasant location within
Rawmarsh, Rotherham. We pride ourselves on providing a safe and stimulating environment for children to learn
in and staff to work in. As a result of this, our children do well and our staff enjoy their work. We can offer you:
● A friendly & supportive staff and governors.
● A commitment to delivering excellent provision for all our children.
● Opportunities to develop your skills through CPD.
● An inclusive and learning-centered environment where children are ready to learn.
The governors are looking to recruit a hardworking, enthusiastic and excellent classroom practitioner who will
have a positive impact on standards and school ethos. Initially, the post is for a teacher in Year 2; as in all primary
schools, future deployment will represent the needs of the school. The successful candidate will:
● Be inclusive in their outlook and have a desire to improve the social and academic outcomes of all pupils.
● Be committed to providing dynamic, exciting and purposeful learning experiences.
● Be a team player with energy, enthusiasm, imagination and a sense of humour.
● Be able to demonstrate high quality teaching suitable as a role model for other teachers.
● Have some experience in leading school initiatives leading to the raising of standards across school.
● Have a passion for and subject knowledge in English, being an expert in developing all its strands including
phonics, reading and writing. As a school we have successfully used RWI phonics and IPEELL to develop
writing skills, details of which can be found on our website.
We consider this appointment to be key to our further development as a school and offer the following in support
of the right candidate:
● ½ hour p/w phase meeting at the start of PPA afternoon to work with colleagues.
● An afternoon p/w out of class for leadership activities with flexibility for further time if appropriate.
● Access to high quality CPD through RoSIS, including subject leadership and NPQs if appropriate.
● Termly opportunities to work with your phase on curriculum planning.
● In class support from a highly effective 0.8 FTE teaching assistant.
Visits to our school are encouraged: only by visiting us will you be able to confirm that we are the right school for
you. Please phone Jane Lockwood to arrange your visit. It may have to be out of school hours or even virtually,
depending on the current COVID guidelines. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and at different stages
of their teaching careers. Applicants need to be aware that Thorogate School is committed to safeguarding and
promoting the welfare of young people and expect all staff to share this commitment. References will be
requested immediately after shortlisting and enhanced DBS checks undertaken before the appointment is made.
Respect. Responsibility. Pride. Page 1 of 2
Only applications made via the Rotherham application form will be considered and we expect a covering letter
that supports the application. Application form, person specification and job description are available from the
school website or from Jane Lockwood at email@example.com .
Part of the selection process will involve observing shortlisted candidates teach. We hope that this will be in
person but if COVID guidelines at the time dictate this is not possible, we will endeavour to find a creative
solution. Following the observation of teaching, candidates will be informed if they have progressed to the next
Closing date: 16th April
Shortlisting: 19th April
Lesson Observations: To be arranged immediately after short listing
Rawmarsh Thorogate Junior and Infant School
- Mainstream school with state - community funding
- Primary School
- Students of mixed gender, age 5 - 11 years