Job Title: Facilities Operative
Location: Stretton, Rutland
Salary: up to £18,000
Hours: 40 per week Monday to Friday (8:30-17.00)
The Shires is an outstanding autism day & residential school located in the East Midlands for young people and adults from 11 years upwards with autism and complex needs. We provide a wide range of specialist residential care and education for children and young people aged 11 to 19 and for adults aged 18 to 65 who have a diagnosis of autism and may have accompanying learning disabilities. The home and school occupy the same site and the care and education staff work closely together to achieve outstanding outcomes. Parents and placing authorities respect and value our professionalism, warmth and integrity and the way we strive to create a family-like ethos and a homely atmosphere.
The Shires is part of the Acorn Care and Education Group, the second largest private sector provider of special needs education in the country operating 19 schools for children and young people who have a range of social, emotional and mental health needs and also pupils who have been diagnosed with autism or demonstrate behaviours associated with autism
About the Role
Due to continued growth we now have a fantastic opportunity for a full time Facilities Operative to join The Shires. The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the Facilities Manager with the maintenance and health and safety across our 4 sites.
Reporting to the Facilities Manager you will also be required to support the Senior Leadership team to manage general maintenance across the sites.
Who we are looking for
We are looking for a Facilities Operative who has a suitable qualification (or provide evidence of experience) of one of the following trades – carpentry, plumbing, decorating. Some that has is ICT literate for updating systems, able to prioritise tasks, anticipate and reduce risk where possible and an effective communicator. Ideally, someone who is IOSH trained, has a current first aid certificate and experience of COOSH, PAT testing, asbestos awareness and working at heights but this is not essential.
The ideal candidate will have a strong ability to solve problems independently, with a high degree of accuracy working in accordance with the health & safety policies and procedures of the group.
We are looking for someone that is able to deal with emergencies and problems in a positive and a systematic manner, work independently and as part of a team, has a willingness to undertake additional training and understands and is able to apply health & safety procedures relevant to the job.
- Undertake general and emergency repairs and maintenance around the establishment, inside and out, including plastering, basic joinery, decorating, repairs to fixtures and fittings, furnishings and buildings, to ensure the site is a safe and well maintained environment for pupils, employees and visitors.
- Ensuring Garden and surrounding areas, including pathways, hedging, trees, car parking and external play areas are well maintained.
- Move heavy and awkward shaped furniture and supplies as requested, and work at heights in accordance with Health & Safety regulations and after the completion of appropriate risk assessment checks.
- Maintain security of the site i.e. opening and closing of the premises in line with agreed opening and closing procedures. Share locking up and unlocking procedures with facilities operatives and cleaners, to ensure a comprehensive locking and unlocking of the site takes place. Inform SLT of any issues or concerns.
- Be a key member of emergency and fire marshal group undertaking training as and when necessary.
- Undertake required statutory Health & Safety including water checks (legionnaire testing), change and monitor gas bottles, oil supplies on various sites, ladder checks, and equipment condition checks.
- Carry out a daily walk of the site, report to the SLT of any significant issues.
- To ensure that all equipment and materials are used in accordance with Health & Safety guidelines.
- To ensure that company tools and equipment are kept in good order and propose solutions to repair any faulty tools or equipment to the SLT.
- Maintaining all work and storage areas are clean and tidy e.g. the maintenance shed.
- To provide transport duties including mini bus runs as required by the sites.
- Cover the transport arrangements as and when required. Liaising with the Home & School Administration on any transport issues.
- Deputise for the Facilities Manager as and when required.
- Any other duties that may be required from time to time that is commensurate with the role.
- Competent in the use of ICT skills
- Knowledge of Health & Safety and how to apply it in the workplace including carrying out checks and maintaining log books
- Excellent interpersonal skills, to gain credibility and respect from people at all levels and maintain a positive relationship with all customers.
- Adaptability and flexibility – can handle multiple priorities across sites
- High degree of accuracy, attention to detail and organisational skills.
- Ability to deal with difficult and multiple tasks at any one time and prioritise work to meet demanding timescales.
- Team orientated yet also able to work autonomously
- Full driving licence
- Understanding of pupils with SEN
- Health & safety qualification
- Experience of taking responsibility of security of a building
Why work for us
- Free parking
- Free meals
- Holidays on pro rata 6.6 weeks
- Extensive Training
- Annual loyalty bonus
- Attendance Voucher
- Free bottle of wine on your birthday
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and we expect all employees to share this commitment and undertake appropriate checks.
We are an Equal Opportunities Employer.