The Finance Manager will be responsible for the day to day management of the school’s accounting function, including supervising the work of the accounts team (of three accounts assistants), producing management accounts and reports and working with heads of other departments about budget development and review.
The school has strong financial systems, but seeks to make best use of human and digital resources to optimise quality and productivity. The role therefore also offers the successful candidate the potential to make a valuable contribution to cross-functional teams working on improvement projects. Accounting is required for three entities. Sevenoaks School is a company limited by guarantee and a charity. It has a subsidiary, Sennocke Services, which is a limited company. The third entity, Sevenoaks School Foundation, is also a registered charity.
Responsibilities and Duties
• Preparation of periodic management accounts
• Support the Director of Finance in the preparation of annual budgets.
• Preparation of lead and supporting schedules for the audit files, and provision of assistance to the Director of Finance in preparing the statutory accounts.
• Management of the PASS accounting system, including the year-end roll forwards and close downs once the audits have been signed off.
• Management of the Accounts team and their work.
For a full list please download the job description.
• the successful candidate will be a qualified accountant, and able to demonstrate the managerial and technical accounting and system skills that will allow you to operate successfully in this wide-ranging role
• an effective team member: helpful, friendly, flexible, able to make good judgements and provide leadership when required
Experience and Qualities
• experience of working in a computerised accounting and database environment
• ability to maintain excellent financial controls
• advanced use of Excel, including database queries
• strong data handling and analysis skills
Hours of work
The role is a full-time, all-year round post, working 40 hours per week from Monday to Friday, usually 9:00am to 5:00pm including a break for lunch. However, the successful candidate must be able to be flexible to work when required to meet the needs of the role.
An initial salary of around £45,000 p.a. is available for this post, depending on the qualifications, skills and experience of the successful candidate.
The children of members of staff are entitled to a discount on school fees, which is currently 75% of the tuition fee. This is subject to staff children being successful in the entry process for admission to the School. Further information about the school can be found on our website: www.sevenoaksschool.org
Membership of the support staff Group Personal Pension Scheme is available for the person in this role. If the successful applicant does not join the pension scheme and is eligible for Auto Enrolment, then they will be enrolled at the appropriate time in the school’s Auto Enrolment pension plan. Further details can be obtained from the Personnel department.
Holiday entitlement is 28 days paid holiday per annum including public holidays. Holiday requests must be approved in advance by line management. It is expected that holiday will be taken during the school holidays.
Wherever possible references will be sought in advance for those candidates invited for interview. However, references will not be taken up without the applicant’s permission.
How to Apply
For a comprehensive job description please download the attached role specification. If you wish to be considered for this role, please complete the support staff online application form at http://www.sevenoaksschool.org/support-vacancies/. The form must be completed and submitted electronically. CV’s can also be submitted but cannot replace any information on the application form which must be submitted in full.
Please contact the Personnel Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01732 467 740 if you have any questions about a completed application.