Context: To plan and deliver an engaging and creative curriculum at the Dv8 Bexhill Centre as part of College Central’s Core+ programme for 14-16 year old learners. To lead on the successful delivery of all qualifications, learning and pastoral care aims of this programme. The Core+ programme is commissioned by College Central to engage and support young people 14-16 years old who may have not thrived in mainstream education. The programme delivery will be for 3 days per week during school term time. This role will take over from the existing lead tutor ½ term into the academic year.
Core+ has the following aims:
● To overcome learner’s barriers to learning and develop greater independence through increased confidence and experience.
● To develop learner’s functional skills to a level which will enable progression to employment, education or training post 16.
● To develop learner’s employability skills.
● To develop student’s personal and social development skills to enhance opportunities in further education and employment.
Teaching Learning and Assessment
- Plan, deliver and assess Functional Skills English, Maths & ICT, along with NCFE Level 1.
- Ensure that all student pre-enrolment information and initial assessment information is used to plan for effective delivery and differentiation of learning.
- Feed-into, and contribute to ILPs, student live files and 1-2-1 progress reviews to support learning and evidence progress for every learner.
- Ensure assessment of learning is on-going, effective and delivered as per the assessment plan on the Scheme of Work.
- Support with basic administration along with Functional Skills initial assessment (Skills Forward) and online testing.
- Maintain accurate and timely records of learner attendance reports.
- Report to College Central on a regular basis regarding learner progress and predicted achievement.
- Ensure all course delivery and assessment meets the criteria set out by awarding bodies
- Ensure that student profile information from the admissions process is used to develop and inform curriculum design, and the planning for learning.
- Create a positive environment for learning and set high expectations for learners regarding attendance, punctuality, engagement and achievement.
- Attend and play an active part in College Central training and course meetings.
This is not an exhaustive list of duties and responsibilities. The post holder will be expected to undertake other tasks and duties commensurate with the role.
- Liaise with parents and carers as and when required to support student achievement.
- In collaboration with College Central, put in place clear action plans for students identified as at risk of non-achievement.
- Hold a formal teaching qualification at level 4 (CTLLS or equivalent) or above, or be willing to work towards a qualification.
- Preferably hold a Degree level qualification (ideally in a related sector area)
Knowledge and Experience
- Experience of teaching school age pupils who may face barriers to achieving in mainstream education
- A demonstrable record of success in previous roles.
- Up to date knowledge of the subject areas, syllabus requirements and appropriate teaching techniques; an awareness of requirements of awarding bodies.
- Knowledge and understanding of mechanisms for the identification, assessment and support of learner needs
- Understanding of equality and diversity within the curriculum, barriers to learning and strategies to overcome these
Personal attributes and qualities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Resilient and resourceful
- Excellent behaviour and classroom management skills
- Ability to build positive and constructive relationships with young people.
- Good organisational and administrative skills
- Good IT skills
- The ability to work flexibly as part of a team.
- The ability to make a contribution to the development of the curriculum and resources.
- A good work ethic with the ability to work under pressure, to be flexible, thorough and accurate.
- A commitment to provide an outstanding and inspirational service to staff and students.
- A commitment to Dv8’s core values, with particular focus on student success through high-quality teaching, learning and assessment.