The Estates department is looking for an experienced and self-motivated, fast-working and efficient Gardener.
This is a varied role which will involve assisting with the maintenance and development of the gardens and grounds on all school sites.
- prepare grounds for the planting of trees, shrubs and herbaceous plants
- carry out horticultural operations, such as planting, pruning and maintenance of trees, shrubs and herbaceous plants
- maintain borders, ponds, hedges, fences, walls, paths, roadways and woodlands
- carry out horticultural operations on lawns with the use of pedestrian and ride-on equipment to scarify, aerate, top-dress, over-seed, lift and lay turf, feed, irrigate and cut
- clean drives and pathways of debris, litter picking, clearing snow and applying grit salt as required
- safely use, maintain and clean horticultural equipment including hand tools, strimmers, hedge-cutters, pedestrian and ride on mowers, scarifiers, aerators, tractors and any other machinery required to undertake allocated tasks
- work in a tidy and safe manner.
- follow departmental and school policies
- periodically assist with non-gardener tasks within the school, e.g. maintain and prepare the sports pitches, grass cutting, line marking and erecting sports equipment as directed by the Director of Property or Head of Grounds & Gardens
- undertake other duties that are required and are commensurate with the grade of the post.
The successful applicant must be able to:
- work on own and as part of a team
- use own initiative
- be adaptable and
- be willing to undertake tasks to given time constraints.
Special Role Requirements
- will be required to work out of doors in all weather conditions
- at times the role may require heavy lifting
- will be required to use machinery e.g. hedge cutters, strimmers, lawn mowers, tractors etc
Previous experience of working in a school is not a requirement, but would be advantageous. However, lack of experience should not discourage good applicants from applying for the position.
The successful applicant will need to demonstrate that they have the appropriate NVQ level 2 qualification in Horticulture (or equivalent experience), a full driving licence as well as previous experience in maintaining large or historical gardens.
The basic hours are 40 hours per week made up of 08:00 - 16:30 Monday to Friday. Working up to 12 Saturday mornings per year, 8:00 am till 1:00 pm.
If you wish to be considered for this role, please complete the online application form:
The form must be completed in full and submitted electronically. CV’s should also be submitted but the CV cannot replace any information on the application form which must be submitted in full.
Please contact the HR Office at email@example.com or telephone 01732 467 740 if you have any questions about a completed application.